Leak! Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheatmeister

Reaction score
Im devastated, was just filling my 2nd keg ever (bought the 2 ball lock kit from midwest) with much excitement when I discovered my CO2 in hook up is leaking, badly. I took it off and hooked it up to my other keg and it seemed tight, so it's something on the gas valve on the keg itself. The O-ring? it looks to be in good shape...ordering another one will be a pain in the ass. Do they sell these at Lowe's, home depot, or the place I'll refill my tank? Worst thing is i've got my freshly brewed nectar sitting in the keg in the fridge not carbing...please help with any advice! Thanks in advance

Where on the keg is it leaking from? From the lid or the gas post?

Is the lid O ring in good condition? How much pressure did you put on the keg to make it seal?

Can you be more specific about the location of the leak? Have you found the leak? If not, take a spray bottle, fill it with star-san solution, spray every conenction down, and look for bubbles. By "gas valve" I'm assuming you're talking about the post:

spartan_gaspost.jpg

Is that where it's leaking from, and if so is it leaking from underneath the post, or between the post and the quick disconnect? Is the post tightened down fully? It very well could be an o-ring, but there are five of them, the one for the lid, the one on each post that you can see when the QD isn't connected (see pic above), and the one underneath each post between the diptube and the keg.

Can you be more specific about the location of the leak? Have you found the leak? If not, take a spray bottle, fill it with star-san solution, spray every conenction down, and look for bubbles. By "gas valve" I'm assuming you're talking about the post:

spartan_gaspost.jpg

Is that where it's leaking from, and if so is it leaking from underneath the post, or between the post and the quick disconnect? Is the post tightened down fully? It very well could be an o-ring, but there are five of them, the one for the lid, the one on each post that you can see when the QD isn't connected (see pic above), and the one underneath each post between the diptube and the keg.

I'm not sure where exactly where it is on the plug, but it seems to be between the post and the quick disconnect. When I push down on it while its connected it helps but still leaks. I swapped O-rings and that made no difference, I also hooked up the disconnect to my other keg and it was fine. So it's something on the post and I dont think its the O-ring. I tightened the post as tight as she'll go. I took the post off, but didnt see the O ring between the dip tube and the keg...maybe I need to check that. Is it possible it's just a faulty post? There's some abrasion around the nipple(for lack of a better term) of the post itself..

I'ts coming from somewhere on the post down. I am not able to look at it right now, but last night I didnt see how to take the dip tune out to check that O ring that sits between it and the keg. I screwed the post off and saw the poppet, all looked fined. I'll have to take out the dip tube to see if I can find anything..

I'ts coming from somewhere on the post down. I am not able to look at it right now, but last night I didnt see how to take the dip tune out to check that O ring that sits between it and the keg. I screwed the post off and saw the poppet, all looked fined. I'll have to take out the dip tube to see if I can find anything..

You should have a short diptube down into the "in" post. Just lift that up, and there should be an o-ring between the opening of that diptube and the keg.

Did you try to take out the poppit? Sometimes that is where my keg leaks- right at that poppit. If you take that out, inspect that rubber o-ring and lube it, that might fix it right up.

You should have a short diptube down into the "in" post. Just lift that up, and there should be an o-ring between the opening of that diptube and the keg.

Did you try to take out the poppit? Sometimes that is where my keg leaks- right at that poppit. If you take that out, inspect that rubber o-ring and lube it, that might fix it right up.

I did take the poppit out, but didn't see any o-ring assoviated with it. It was just a spring on a triangular base with the nipple going up into the post. Are you referring to the rubber o-ring between the dip tube and the keg?

Also, I don't have keg lube. Is there another type of household lube that would work, nothing is coming to mind that wouldn't adversly effect the brew..

Is there any household liquid I could sub in for keg lube that won't potentially hurt the brew? I think that my leak is from a bad seal with the post o-ring/quick disconnect...also is there places to buy replacemento-rings at lowes/where refill co2 etc?

Back