Mammy's Sweet Milk Stout(extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Coopers dry Ale yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black/Ruby
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7lbs light LME
0.5lbs chocolate malt
0.25lbs black patent malt
1lb lactose
1oz Nugget pellets

Steep grains for 0.5hrs at 150F in 1gal water. Remove grains. Pour 1gal 160F water over grains in strainer. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and add LME and lactose. Return to boil then add 1oz Nugget hops. Boil 45mins then add 1tsp Irish Moss(maybe not necessary). Strain wort. Cool wort to 72F then pitch yeast.

A little sweet for my tastes. Not really a preferred style of mine but I thought WTH. With that being said this is my best brew yet. Next time I think I'll try 0.75lb lactcose. Good subtle upfront bitterness with a sweet finish.

Would you change anything else? I think I'm gonna try this one. Do you think you would stick with the 0.5 lbs of chocolate malt, step it up, or add some cocoa powder?

brewed this last fall for my wife, she LOVES it... only one bottle left and i'm hiding it so i can drink it while she's gone... Definately going to be an annual brew for us.

I think I might try this one - what were your time frames for primary, secondary (if at all) and bottling?

If its too sweet why not add another 1-2 oz's of hops towards the end of the boil...i have also seen east kent goldings used in stouts to give it more of a European flavor. Im actually going to use your recipe however increase the black patent to 3/4 lb and increase the chocolate malt to 1 lb and add cocoa nibs after 2 weeks in secondary fermenter as well as swap out the hops for EKG. I also recommend a yeast starter at least 3 days prior to your boil. This will ensure a healthy yeast. The joys of beer making!!! This sounds amazing dont let my suggestions take away from this recipe!!! Just offering alternatives =)

Back