Wyeast and pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g0dolphins

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my version of an Irish Red. All things considered, it went well. I did have 2 areas that were outside of my expertise: boil over (see other post) and temp vs. yeast pitch. I'll focus on the yeast for this thread…

Everything went well after boil. I took OG reading and was ready to add the yeast that pitched over night in the house.

I noticed however that the wort temp was 62 degrees (it was cold in Dallas on Sunday). Even so I added the yeast and took the primary inside. Inside temp is monitored and ranges from 66- 70 degrees.

Do I have reason to worry?

It really depends on the type of yeast- some yeasts types do better in cooler temps, some in warmer temps- but you're really right in the ballpark for ale yeasts.

Yooper Chick said:
It really depends on the type of yeast- some yeasts types do better in cooler temps, some in warmer temps- but you're really right in the ballpark for ale yeasts.

thanks Yooper...I suspected as much, but was still unsure

Back