Fridge vs. Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
So I will be brewing my first batch of beer today (hopefully, if I can get a cooling source) I'm trying to find something to just combat the North Carolina Temperatures, so I'm only looking at about 60 degrees... However, when I get more experienced and want to start brewing Lagers I could see benefits in both.

But my question is....
Can a Chest Freezer keep a high temperature like 60-70 degrees?

Yes, as long as you install a temperature controller that will go up that high. If you used a chest freezer, you would be doing this anyway since a stock freezer will not allow you to get above freezing anyway.

It can if you get a temperature controller. Digital ones usually run a litle higher than analog, but are more accurate. The basic concept is that the temp controller plugs into the wall, and the freezer plugs into the temp controller. You set the desired temp on the controller, and when it goes below that, it cuts power to the unit.

After screwing up a batch of Alt due to high ferm temps, I cleaned out the chest freezer to use it as fermentation chamber. :mug:

like others have suggested get a temp controller. i recommend the Ronco duel stage ETC. it will allow you to heat and cool at the same time with the same unit. its great for those pesky times when the days are to warm and the nights are to cold. also look into getting a thermowell carboy cap and fermwerap. they are cheap and work nicely.

Ebay for a Ranco ETC 111000 digital controller and wire it yourself and you will save a lot of money over the pre-wired ones sold on the big homebrew sites.

Back