So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheat malt in a Stout... why not? Unusual, but go for it and enjoy the experience and results. For some reason... even though they didn't use wheat, when I read this I thought about Watney's Cream Stout. I might have to clone that soon, since the brewery faded away 25-30 years ago. I loved that beer. That's the 1 that developed my love for Stouts.

I do a porter with 20% wheat malt and it works really well. Foam for days. I would have used about 5% torrified wheat in this stout, but I used it all up in my last saison.

Wheat malt in a Stout... why not? Unusual, but go for it and enjoy the experience and results. For some reason... even though they didn't use wheat, when I read this I thought about Watney's Cream Stout. I might have to clone that soon, since the brewery faded away 25-30 years ago. I loved that beer. That's the 1 that developed my love for Stouts.
St Peter's Cream Stout is even better than my memory of Watney's, IMO. Try it if you can find it.

The grant is the lowest vessel on the left side of the photo. It sits below the MLT and collects runoff. HB scale grants tend to be quite small, the really big ones are a couple gallons. Mine is my trusty old 9gal boil kettle that I've fitted with a bulkhead and an old ball valve--it's comically oversized by HB standards. The pump on the floor in front of the grant then sends the runoff to the right, up onto the stove top, and into my boil kettle.

Previously I ran off my wort into my boil kettle then hefted the 8-9gals in the kettle onto the stove top. I didn't enjoy doing that operation when I was in my early 20s (even then I knew it was stupid), so this is a big advancement for my hooptie brewery and a concession to the fact that I'll turn fifty in a few months.
Using transfer pump to move wort from the kettle to fermenter has been the latest innovation for me. I am old too, and the lift always was a bear for me to handle.

Update: I shipped the chiller back to JaDeD, at their expense, and they fixed it and are sending it back. Super easy process and very fast turn around. They said this is a very rare occurrence, so I wouldn't worry about this happening to you and don't hesitate to buy one of their chillers. For full transparency, I was running my hose water at full blast through the chiller with a ball valve on the outlet of the chiller, and that built up pressure must have found an imperfect solder and the water made its way through. Going forward I am going to put the ball valve on the inlet to keep pressure out of the chiller. Why did I do it that way? Because the inlet fitting has a spinning garden hose attachment which made it easy to attach a hose, my ball valve does not have this so I'd have to rotate a 30 foot hose multiple times to attach it, much easier doing that with a 10 foot hose.

Brewing a Citra Amarillo nectaron neipa and everything was going smooth, until this. It’s a jaded scylla. I noticed it very quickly so hopefully the batch isn’t toast. The wort was still at around 190.

IMG_0719.jpeg

Edit: they already responded and it’s covered under warranty.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about brewing a stout tomorrow, if the wind dies down. I'm considering something like this, at around 1.050:

70% Pale ale malt
10% White wheat malt
10% C65
5% each chocolate malt and roasted barley
EKG @ 60 & 10
S-04

Brewing this today. I hit all my numbers and she's as black as squid ink. Should be a good one...

20240211_144239.jpg

Off to the races @ 1.067, from 1.70 OG. Cleanup made up for the ease of the brewing with persistent burned LME on the heating element. Can't envision using LME any more. Another epiphany on the linear path, like sticky mess the 1st brew wasn't lesson enough.

Brewed a nice pilsner today,;

Kind of regretted it about half way though, since it never did warm up & I had to sanitize fermentor and 6 kegs. But glad I did once I wrapped it up. It had been a brewing hiatus of 6 weeks, almost a record, mostly on account of an work injury.

20# Weyerman Czech bohemian pils
1 oz spalt FW
1.2 oz tetanger, 35 min boil
S-189

IMG_0415.JPG

Wednesday, actually.
I need something for summer. A double lawnmower ale ought to be nice. A simple blonde ale, all Hallertauer at 1.065 🙂

Next up, Thomas Hardy Ale for a winter brew (won't last beyond that!).

Dbl Cream Ale (1.075) clearing.
Maibock at d-rest.

Probably not until next weekend now as the inbound goodies stopped for the weekend, 75 miles short.

Come to think of it though, I do have a wine kit I could start. Hmmm...

Trying a ‘carrot cake’ ale this weekend. Mostly an amber ale with spices, lactose and juiced carrots (in the whirlpool and secondary fermentation). I really hope this doesn’t suck!

During the brew day, I rediscovered a golden stout I made a couple months ago. This was a beer that I was very ‘meh’ on, too astringent and harsh coffee bitterness, but as with all things, time made it marvelous.

Cheers!

Brewed a split batch WC Pale and Black IPA (3g each) this morning. Racked the pale, added the steeped dark grains, more hops and a lb of DME to hit the Black IPA target. Samples taste good. Kept it simple with all C hops for both but Notty for the Black and S-05 for the pale.

Brewing tomorrow, first brew of the season out in the garage, over propane. They're forecasting 60F. In MN. In Feb.

Doing a 5 gal batch of Baltic Porter. Pilsner, Munich I, 1 lb. Rauchmalz, a little Special B and UK dark crystal, and some Carafa III. Bittering with Triple Perle and EKG late boil. Pitching 3 packets W-34/70.

Just brewed and put a Dunkelweizen in the ferm bucket. While I was doing that I kegged a Bell's 2-Hearted Clone. Drinking a homemade Blue Hawaiian to relax. I lived in Hawaii for a few years, so I got to liking them.

Attachments

• 20240225_182056.jpg
    20240225_182056.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 17089102090088267172839880720454.jpg
    17089102090088267172839880720454.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Brewed the Baltic Porter today out in the garage. Had a few ups and downs.

(Kinda) bad news: preboil SG was lower than expected, 1.066.

More kinda bad news: boiloff was much higher than usual, 1.75 gal in a 60 min boil. Ended up with 5.25 gal in the fermenter, not 5.75 as predicted.

Good news: the higher boiloff got my OG right on the nose at 1.088.

Chilled to 56F with my IC (no ice or recirc needed with cold MN tap water!). Pitched 3 packets rehydrated W-34/70.

20240226_091147.jpg

Brewed the Baltic Porter today out in the garage. Had a few ups and downs.

(Kinda) bad news: preboil SG was lower than expected, 1.066.

More kinda bad news: boiloff was much higher than usual, 1.75 gal in a 60 min boil. Ended up with 5.25 gal in the fermenter, not 5.75 as predicted.

Good news: the higher boiloff got my OG right on the nose at 1.088.

Chilled to 56F with my IC (no ice or recirc needed with cold MN tap water!). Pitched 3 packets rehydrated W-34/70.

View attachment 842743
Nice rig!

Back