Upping Priming Sugar in low carbed bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
My Dark Lager is a little flat for my taste, after 5 1/2 wks at 70-75 deg. I used 3.5oz corn sugar for a true 5 gal batch. If I were to add .03 ounces of sugar to each bottle and recap, would that work out fine?

If my calculations are right, that should give me about 2.8 volumes, up from about 2.2. And yes I do have a scale that will weigh that small of an amount.

thanks

My concern is that you'd uncap, and remove all of the co2 in the headspace. Then, add a tiny bit of sugar which will cause nucleation points and foaming. I'm afraid that you'd end up with flat beer at best, a lager shower at worst.

To see what I mean, try just one. When you drop the sugar in, you'll probably get a beer geyser.

Yooper is 100% correct. You're definitely going to end up with foaming if you add sugar to the bottles now. Sadly, I don't know if you can fix the carbonation at this time.

I totally had forgotten about foaming, thanks. I guess I'll just drink it and be happy, its not like its flat. I'll know better next time. Prime more with this beer.

Back