White Labs vial spew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Used a vial before, no problems. The one I used just a little bit ago to make what was supposed to be a starter must have spewed 1/3 to 1/2 the vial, even when trying to slowly open a little bit now and then. Pisses me off because I had planned for this to be my starter for Saturday or Sunday brew day, now this starter probably just gets me back to where I was before opening the vial. :mad:

Thinking it might be time to look at Wyeast if the vials are going to be a PITA...

OOOhh, look at the threads you've cultivated at the bottom of the page - noice!

A starter, how much do you need for enough for pitch rate?

A starter, how much do you need for enough for pitch rate?

170B was the target, made 1.25L to get roughly 190B, with the spew factor it looks like 140B or so.

Will it still make beer? Yeah, almost certainly, but the point of the starter size was aiming for better beer. :)

Yeah, thats fairly common. As mentioned above, I also open the vial while still cold and decant about half of the starter beer. Then I recap loosely and place it on the countertop to warm up

A tip I've posted in all the other vial spew threads is to get one of those big plastic funnels. Sanitize it, put that in whatever vessel you're making your starter in, hold the vial down inside the funnel, and open it slowly. That way any erupting yeast will hopefully hit the sides of the funnel and drip back down into your starter vessel the good thing is with a starter you will be able to make up the volume you lost.

What happens is that all the time the yeast has been awake in the tube it's been farting and producing co2, which of course is trapped in there just waiting for a chance for release......You ever been in an elevator and just had to let one rip? Same diff. ;)

A tip I've posted in all the other vial spew threads is to get one of those big plastic funnels. Sanitize it, put that in whatever vessel you're making your starter in, hold the vial down inside the funnel, and open it slowly. That way any erupting yeast will hopefully hit the sides of the funnel and drip back down into your starter vessel the good thing is with a starter you will be able to make up the volume you lost.

What happens is that all the time the yeast has been awake in the tube it's been farting and producing co2, which of course is trapped in there just waiting for a chance for release......You ever been in an elevator and just had to let one rip? Same diff. ;)

Happened to me today, but thank goodness I had a funnel :D to catch every drop..I really did.

....you farted in an elevator and caught it....

This stuff (WPL 004) looks like it flocs fairly well. I think I'm going to decant off most of the liquid and crash that, then pitch another liter or so on the starter cake. Should be ready to roll on Sunday.

Easily avoidable......open it like you'd open a 2l bottle of soda you just dropped down a flight of stairs.:) You'll never have a problem again.

That's pretty much what I did but it just spewed some every time I cracked open the cap enough to try to let off even the slightest amount of pressure.

If I go with WPL again I'll try the crack it open starting when cold approach.

Back