New MLT on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I realized that my 5 gal Gott MLT wasn’t going to let me brew the beers that I wanted to brew. So I went out after a Victory 48 qt cooler. I went to Wally World and surprisingly they were out of them, but they were just putting a new shipment of the 50 qt Ice Cubes on the shelves ($24.95)!! The price difference from the Victory’s was the price of a 10’ stick of CPVC. So I grabbed one and headed for the truck. I noticed in the store that this size of Ice Cube does NOT have a built in drain, but I have a 7/8ths hole saw so I wasn’t worried. Stopped at a plumbing supply store on the way home and got the parts for a bulkhead fitting and a stick of 1/2'” CPVC and headed for the home stead.

First, I forgot to take pics of the holesaw in action.

Here’s a shot of the inside bulkhead fitting and the CPVC ½ inch adapter.
bulkheadinside.jpg

And the outside. The bulkhead fitting is called “1/2” Brass Tailpiece” and fits the 7/8” hole perfectly. The washer is a ¾” #2 rubber gasket and a ½” steel locknut holds everything tight.
bulkheadoutside.jpg

Here is the manifold I made with slots cut into the bottom with a Dremel.
manifoldslots.jpg

And here it is in the MLT. It’s hard to see but it sits right on the bottom of the MLT. I’m hoping this will cut my loss to just cups!!!! Will let y’all know.
manifold.jpg

Here’s my 2 MLT’s. They will alternate HLT duties when needed.
MLTs.jpg

And this is the thing to have when your working with CPVC. I hate hacksaws and this thing goes thru CPVC like a hot knife thru butter. $10
PVCcutter.jpg

And here is a shot of my equipment. That’s a 9.5 gal brew pot.
MLTsandBrewpot.jpg

And my first attempt at a brewery logo.
asgardbrewery01.jpg

I had to post this, I’m kinda proud of myself. All in all, I have about $35 in my new MLT.

I hope someone can benefit from this.

That all looks good to me but I'm a N00b so what do I know.
I do have a question for you and the others here. Why is it when you all make these you don't put in a temp gage?

SWEET!

I just finished mine tonight after being inspired by your pics...

I used a 24quart picnic cooler and 1/2in CPVC...worked out quite well.

As for your question FSR402 I plan on buying one of those long thermometors for turkey fryers to put through the side wall of mine so I can watch the temp without opening the lid.

Great GH, glad it helped.

The reason I didn't was because it's hard enough to stir with the manifold in there, having to dodge a thermometer would make it worse. Besides, everyone raves about them holding temps so very well. I'm just gonna RDWHAHB!!!!!

I just might punch a hole in the top to stick one through. Just a thought.

I was thinking of running mine as close to the manifold as possible so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to stir around...

Thanks again!

greenhornet said:
SWEET!

As for your question FSR402 I plan on buying one of those long thermometors for turkey fryers to put through the side wall of mine so I can watch the temp without opening the lid.
Yes... That's what I was thinking of doing. To me it just makes sence.

Here my setup with the CPVC manifold, I did it according to Plamers book.

MLT.jpg

Fly sparging with the lid closed to keep heat in.

Fly.jpg

Back