Yeast from a bottle condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcrowley269

Reaction score
I attempted to do a yeast starter from a bottle I had. It was commercial beer. I started trying to build the colony by using some left over wort from a brew. It took 4-5 days to get any activity and started to see a couple of bubbles on top. I put it on a stir plate and cracked open the lid. I had a little yeast cake and closed the lid tight. Put it in the fridge. Now I have some test tubes to store the yeast in. I opened the jar and it was under pressure,Ike it had been fermenting. It is an ale. The top of the lid has what appears to be fungus, or mold on it. Did I get something bad or could it be ok? What am I looking for?

Mrcrowley269 said:
I attempted to do a yeast starter from a bottle I had. It was commercial beer. I started trying to build the colony by using some left over wort from a brew. It took 4-5 days to get any activity and started to see a couple of bubbles on top. I put it on a stir plate and cracked open the lid. I had a little yeast cake and closed the lid tight. Put it in the fridge. Now I have some test tubes to store the yeast in. I opened the jar and it was under pressure,Ike it had been fermenting. It is an ale. The top of the lid has what appears to be fungus, or mold on it. Did I get something bad or could it be ok? What am I looking for?

image-44206762.jpg

Here is a oic

I always try a little taste of my yeast starter. If it tastes good then I assume there is no infection. give it a taste:mug:

What do I look for? Like vinegar taste, or just bad taste? It smells kind of ok, just not sure what I am looking for. Want to build up enough to freeze.

Back