Beer Allergy Diagnosis???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sinuses get congested when I drink anything with Crystal Hops in it. I love IPA's and can't drink Sierra Nevada Torpedo for that reason. I can drink lots of others with no negative reaction.

To follow up, meeting with doc was inconclusive. After taking about a few months with no beer...the problem has subsided so it is likely a cumulative issue however after brewing my first batch in while I can feel the lungs aren't happy after a boil that filled the house with hops/malt fumes, so we'll see. Yay, Canadian health care system.

I was, and don't take this the wrong way, hoping you get more conclusive evidence. I get red spotches on my neck after drinking homebrew (and fantastic homebrew at that) and worry that I'm allergic to alcohol. I don't have swelling or lung trouble, just ugly red spots all over my neck. I don't think, and I really f'n hope, it's not liver failure like some websites say but I'm going to the doctor to get it checked out.

I really hope I'm not allergic. My world would shatter if I had to give up this hobby.

I was, and don't take this the wrong way, hoping you get more conclusive evidence. I get red spotches on my neck after drinking homebrew (and fantastic homebrew at that) and worry that I'm allergic to alcohol. I don't have swelling or lung trouble, just ugly red spots all over my neck. I don't think, and I really f'n hope, it's not liver failure like some websites say but I'm going to the doctor to get it checked out.

I really hope I'm not allergic. My world would shatter if I had to give up this hobby.

This is fairly common and can be tied to genetics. Apparently people of Asian decent can't break acetaldehyde down (by-product of processing alcohol) so the body reacts to the toxin.

I get it, too, but not all the time. If I'm tired at the end of the day I'm much more likely to become flushed all over my neck after a drink.

This is fairly common and can be tied to genetics. Apparently people of Asian decent can't break acetaldehyde down (by-product of processing alcohol) so the body reacts to the toxin.

I get it, too, but not all the time. If I'm tired at the end of the day I'm much more likely to become flushed all over my neck after a drink.

This happens to one of my Asian friends every single time he drinks.

Back