Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they use Whitbread Golding Variety hops and Maris Otter and it's 4.7% abv. They describe it as dry so there's probably a bit of invert sugar as well.

Wyeast 1469 is their strain, another clone recipe has them start at 66 then increase over 72 hours to 69.

1.049 OG
1.012 FG
SRM 8
ABV 4.7%
7 lbs MO
1 lb Invert No. 1
.5 lb Medium UK Crystal approx 60 SRM

1.00 oz WGV hops at 60 ~27 ibu
.5 oz at 15 3.6 ibu
.5 oz at 0

I'd mash at 153-154 as otherwise the sugar will dry the beer out too much.

I've seen it but not tried it. May have to hunt down a bottle.

It's got to at least be worth drinking while watching the movie.

just got a sixer of this today, had to get it cause i love the movie, friend of mine tried it and said it tasted like schlitz (sp?) having never tried schlitz i dont have a frame of reference but is this accurate or no? dont mean to hijack

just got a sixer of this today, had to get it cause i love the movie, friend of mine tried it and said it tasted like schlitz (sp?) having never tried schlitz i dont have a frame of reference but is this accurate or no? dont mean to hijack

I can categorically say that this does not in fact taste like Schlitz :p

yeah, I love the name, very clever. I bought some on sight. I couldn't find anything good to say about the beer inside. Frankly I was a bit suspicious someone had re-labled the cheapest thing they could fond at the liquor store. Maybe I should give it another chance?

Looks like they use Whitbread Golding Variety hops and Maris Otter and it's 4.7% abv. They describe it as dry so there's probably a bit of invert sugar as well.

Wyeast 1469 is their strain, another clone recipe has them start at 66 then increase over 72 hours to 69.

1.049 OG
1.012 FG
SRM 8
ABV 4.7%
7 lbs MO
1 lb Invert No. 1
.5 lb Medium UK Crystal approx 60 SRM

1.00 oz WGV hops at 60 ~27 ibu
.5 oz at 15 3.6 ibu
.5 oz at 0

I'd mash at 153-154 as otherwise the sugar will dry the beer out too much.

hi all,

Did anyone end up trying this recipe? If so was it similar to MPHG? If not what would you change?

Cheers
HC

I was cleaning up the other day and found this recipe in one of my notebooks. This is from an email that I had sent to the Black Sheep Brewery with the hope of getting a recipe for Holy Grail Ale.
Paul Ambler, Head Brewer and Director of Black Sheep at the time, eventually replied.
The recipe does not include any yeast strain, but does give a very specific grain bill...well except for the exact lovibond of crystal malt used. He does include the type of hops used, but not exact measurement or IBU's.
The emails were sent quite a few years back and I had assumed the recipe was lost. With the recent find I thought I would share for posterity. Cheers!

Extract derivation for Holy Grail is:

Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt: 75%
Demerara Sugar: 10.7%
Torrefied Wheat: 10%
Crystal Malt: 4.3%

Hops are an English variety called First Gold, added as 75% in the kettle and 25% as late hops after the boil. Your nearest American equivalent to First Gold is Willamette.

Back