Holy Peach Setiment!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
So the 25#'s of peaches that I used to make my 5 gallon batch of peach wine have disolved into a loose bunch if fibers. I wasn't too concerned, but now that the cap is dropping to the bottom they have made a very loose lees. As in I'll be lucky to recover 25% of that 5 gallons!

Will this continue to settle or compact? If not, I was thinking of sulfiting the #%^* out if it and straining it into a 2nd carboy using a muslin bag and a funnel.

Does anyone have any advise for me?

Thank you.

So the 25#'s of peaches that I used to make my 5 gallon batch of peach wine have disolved into a loose bunch if fibers. I wasn't too concerned, but now that the cap is dropping to the bottom they have made a very loose lees. As in I'll be lucky to recover 25% of that 5 gallons!

Will this continue to settle or compact? If not, I was thinking of sulfiting the #%^* out if it and straining it into a 2nd carboy using a muslin bag and a funnel.

Thank you.

Normally, I put fruit in muslin bags loosely and then remove them after about 5-7 days. How old is this wine? If it's under a week old, you can go ahead and strain it, no problem.

For some of these pulpy wines we like to just throw all the fruit in there and after the ferment has gone for a couple of days and the yeast has made a big thick cap of the pulp we siphon the wine from beneath the pulp, dont worry about getting stuff from the bottom as we will rack again once fermentation has stopped. Why would you think you need to add a lot of KM? Mango is also one to throw a ton of sediment like peaches. WVMJ

Thank you.

Thank you. I went ahead and strained it, but I must say that I don't hold much hope for this batch. The process took MUCH longer than I expected, and I ended up having to stop on the middle to go to work. The batch was about 5 days old, but the SG was down to .090 from 1.10, so it had finished fermenting. During the process I managed to get not one, but TWO fruit flys in the new carboy. Hopefully the 15%ish ABV will protect against any spoilage. I'd guesstimate I managed to recover about 3xs the liquid that I thought I would though. I guess time will tell how it turns out.

For some of these pulpy wines we like to just throw all the fruit in there and after the ferment has gone for a couple of days and the yeast has made a big thick cap of the pulp we siphon the wine from beneath the pulp, dont worry about getting stuff from the bottom as we will rack again once fermentation has stopped. Why would you think you need to add a lot of KM? Mango is also one to throw a ton of sediment like peaches. WVMJ

I was thinking of adding the KM to protect against the oxidation from straining the must. I added about 1/2 lb of sugar. I hope getting fermentation going for a bit might help with the oxidation. Again, time will tell.

Thank you both for your advise.

Fruit flies are the biggest danger here- they have acetero bacter on them, the bacteria that creates vinegar.

The squeezing/etc would be ok, even at .990 since the wine is full of co2, but the two fruitflies will probably ruin the wine.

Back