Snow Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
It's days like today that make me wish I had a stock of brewing ingredients. No work due to the 2 inches of snow on the ground (silly southerners) and got nothing better to do than brew. Too bad that both LBHSs aren't open on Tuesdays. Guess I'll just have to drink they few beers I have left and watch it snow. Cheers to all, and if you're brewing today, I envy you!

Looks like we're in the same situation over here in Raleigh, knocked out of work for the day, just finished brewing my inauguration day mild and fighting off the terrible urge to crack open one of my VERY freshly bottled choco stouts! Cheers, happy snow day!

I just moved to Cary from New York and I was amazed how freaked out everyone seems to be over a few inches of snow. I work in Raleigh but decided to not go in today and avoid the endless driving disasters.

I wish I had ordered a recipe last week to have today. Even my gf commented on how perfect a brew day this would be!

I just moved to Cary from New York and I was amazed how freaked out everyone seems to be over a few inches of snow. I work in Raleigh but decided to not go in today and avoid the endless driving disasters.

I wish I had ordered a recipe last week to have today. Even my gf commented on how perfect a brew day this would be!

Welcome to the south! I moved here from Buffalo and this stuff is funny! I'm not afraid to go out and drive, I'm just afraid of all the other driviers out there that aren't used to it. Talked to a guy from work this morning and he said 40 looked like a demolition derby. Staying in drinking for now!

There may or may not be some envying going on right now by me, here in Chicago... With about a foot of accumulation... sitting at my desk at work...

There may or may not be some envying going on right now by me, here in Chicago... With about a foot of accumulation... sitting at my desk at work...

The towns and cities down here don't seem to own any plows. From what I've seen its just people with small plows attached to their pick up trucks.

I probably could have made it into work today, but the drivers here are pretty bad on good days. Throw down some slippery white stuff and people who think that because they have four wheel drive they can handle anything and I'm not risking my life or car for work today!

my sister in law just moved to Raleigh this year, i talked to her for a minute yesterday and she said she isnt going to have to work due to 4" of snow. what a joke! i dont even blow out my driveway for 4" of snow!

my sister in law just moved to Raleigh this year, i talked to her for a minute yesterday and she said she isnt going to have to work due to 4" of snow. what a joke! i dont even blow out my driveway for 4" of snow!

It may be a joke in the pancake flat north, but not here. I used to be a scoffing northerner, but come on down to Tennessee and drive on our hilly, curvy back roads that haven't been touched by the county. You'll be at home when there's 2 inches on the ground. ;)

It may be a joke in the pancake flat north, but not here. I used to be a scoffing northerner, but come on down to Tennessee and drive on our hilly, curvy back roads that haven't been touched by the county. You'll be at home when there's 2 inches on the ground. ;)

ya, i grew up in the Adirondacks though, hardly flat! it is pretty flat in syracuse though, although they do a better job plowing in the country than they do in the city here!

ya, i grew up in the Adirondacks though, hardly flat!

I would imagine they have snow removal equipment in the Adirondacks. Not here. No salt on backroads, no snowplows, no sanded corners. It's a whole different world down here.

Im always amazed that a fairly metropolitan area like Raleigh has absolutely zero capabilities to clear snow. I drove down I-40 at about 8 am and it looked like the final days or something, complete insanity. Hey does anyone from this area know whose got the best beer selection in town? Seems like whole foods has alot of the Belgians and such that I like, but total wine is ridiculously priced and the generic grocery stores generally suck.

Snow days are great, unfortunately I am stuck working from home today watching the snow fall.

I personally think it would be an irresponsible waste of tax payer dollars to have the ability to clear snow the way they do in the great white north. We have on average 1-2 days of year that keeps people inside because of snow. Does it really seem logical to buy a ton a trucks, stockpile salt, and have giant crews out clearing snow that's going to melt in a day or two anyway?

Hey does anyone from this area know whose got the best beer selection in town?

That's easy, Peace Street Market in downtown Raleigh. It's a very unassuming place that looks like a gas station with no gas but when you walk in, there is beer everywhere.

Peace Street Market
804 W Peace St
Raleigh, NC‎

Also, there is a gas station on Lousiburg road, just north of 540. First one on the left after you pass 540 headed north. Has a red sign on the front that says American Beverage I think? It's been a while since I have been there. Worth a look if you're not too far away from there.

Is Peace Street Market pretty much beside Broughton high school. I think I have been there but I think it was really late and I probably wasn't looking for good beer. Also, I concur with your thoughts on irresponsible use of taxpayer money, it really doesn't make sense to have snow clearing equipment in raleigh, maybe just a little salt.

Back