Sour Cherries in Edwort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
So last night I had a bottle of Leifman's Kriek and I couldn't help but notice the similarities between it and say Apfelwein, less the cherries of course. What do you guys think of racking Ed's Apfelwein on sour cherries? I think it just might work. If I was to do this at some point what do you think would be an appropriate amount of cherries to use?

I think it would taste great!! I think you would have to go kind of heavy on the cherries to get a noticable flavor. I used 3 lbs of cherries in a wheat beer one time and could barely notice the flavor. I'd say maybe 5 or 6 lbs in a 5 gal batch of apfelwein might be good.

I've got some cherries in the freezer from my neighbor's tree. I'm definitely going to try this. It might be a good christmass beverage. How many do you all think I should add to a batch? I have maybe 4 or 5 pounds.

I would definitely think all of what you have if you only have 4 or 5 lbs. It will definitely add a nice color and with 5 lbs it should add a noticeble flavor, just can't say for sure how much.

Also, I'm right over in W. Lafayette, small world right?

Back