should i bother washing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Hi all, I have brewed 3 lagers with w34/70, started with 2 packs on the first one. All 3 have been mid gravity beers, around 1.056 og. After each fermentation, I poured out about 1/2 the yeast cake before racking the next beer on top.

All 3 were fermented at 50 degrees, give or take a couple. I now have 2 inches or so of yeast cake in the bottom of my carboy. I'm pretty confident there's no contamination, as all beers have tasted very good coming out of primary. No diacetyl on any of them either.

Tonight I racked the 3rd into secondary for lagering, and I left about an inch of beer atop the yeast and I left the carboy in the garage at 40 degrees.

Should I have any reservations about washing this yeast, and saving it for future batches? I'd like to build up my yeast bank, but also don't want to be pennywise and dollar stupid.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Wash away my friend. I find my way of washing to be easy/space effective:

Boil 1 gal water (or buy spring), cool, pour in.
Shake for a minute, let it settle for 5-10.
Pour off liquid (not dark brown proteins) in a very clean, de-labelled spaghetti sauce jar. (I save a few just for this).
I fill about 4-5 jars, the lids are air tight.
I label them with the strain, date and generation, and throw them in the fridge.
In 3 days they clear up and settle, so I get out the small mason jars (jelly size or bigger depending).
Sanitize everything, decant most of liquid (guesstimate how much).
And switch yeast to smaller mason jars and label again.

Now you have perfectly clean yeast, in small containers that barely take up room in the fridge. I use one jelly jar for 2.5 gal (more than enough), or 1-2 for 5 gal.

Oh and no infections in 9 months of washing this way.

How long would the yeast last if I just poured into a sterilized mason jar? I've woken up washed yeast after a year, could I expect the same with this method? I must admit I've gotten lazy at times lately due to family obligations. Lol

Mojzis, if I use spring water, do I need to boil first? Or do you use it right out of the bottle? Would distilled be ok/better?

How long would the yeast last if I just poured into a sterilized mason jar? I've woken up washed yeast after a year, could I expect the same with this method? I must admit I've gotten lazy at times lately due to family obligations. Lol

I have only just poured trub in once. I used that for making starters, I would be hesitant about using it after a while because of the degrading protein and yeast combined. I have used washed yeast after 6 months with no problems (use a higher pitch rate or make a starter).

If I'm feeling lazy I put the bung back on the carboy with the yeast in it, then get to it the next day or in a few days. Less time is better.

Mojzis, if I use spring water, do I need to boil first? Or do you use it right out of the bottle? Would distilled be ok/better?

Spring water from the bottle would be fine, Idk about distilled, I personally would stick with tab/bottled. You don't have to boil the bottled, but I would boil tab water.

If you just want to pour the trub without washing I would use it within about a month.

Edit: Here's a picture of my own:

011.jpg

Viability doesn't change a noticeable amount in one month, but I'm not sure about a year. The oldest slurry I have is about 3 months old, but it still looks good.

Nice pics! I guess I should at least wash it, its not much more work and I can't say it would be used in a short amt of time.

Woodland, I read your blog. Quite informative, thanks!

Ok, I'll quit being lazy...if I have to...I guess...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have been considering making a frozen yeast bank. But with my new fridge, I have plenty of space below my kegs to store washed yeast, and freezer space is diminishing with bulk hop buys. So I guess I'll stick to washing for now. It's easier, and I have had good results so far. And since I typically use only about 5 strains, I have the space.

I just finished my stirplate too, so it has become very easy!

Thanks for the help!

Back