mashing, steeping.. what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven77

Reaction score
Everything I've brewed so far I've used malt extracts. I'd like to learn how to "start from scratch"... meaning using all raw ingredients. I live in barley country and barley is easy to find (just throw a stone in any direction and you'll hit a grain elevator). How do I turn these raw grains into my beer? I know the explaination would be rather long, so if anyone can point me to a link online, I'd appreciate it! Or if someone doesn't mind telling me the basics and the basic equipment I'd need. I'd rather not buy a book, I pay for my internet :p ;) I've searched for a little while but am not finding a step by step tutorial.

Thanks for reading!

Also search this forum...a recent thread called "All Grain for newbies" has an outline of my brew day, and it's been discussed quite a bit around here. There are lots of people in your shoes, just about ready to take the plunge.

I will say that the barley all around you needs to be malted before it is useful. So, you'd still need to get the malted barley from the brewstore. After you read up on it, if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help. Have fun! :D

Thanks, guys. Looks like I have some studying to do; I bookmarked the links and printed your post, Janx.

Thanks again.

(I think my house is slowly turning into a brewery with all the stuff I'm accumulating)

seven77 said:
Everything I've brewed so far I've used malt extracts. I'd like to learn how to "start from scratch"... meaning using all raw ingredients. I live in barley country and barley is easy to find (just throw a stone in any direction and you'll hit a grain elevator). How do I turn these raw grains into my beer? I know the explaination would be rather long, so if anyone can point me to a link online, I'd appreciate it! Or if someone doesn't mind telling me the basics and the basic equipment I'd need. I'd rather not buy a book, I pay for my internet :p ;) I've searched for a little while but am not finding a step by step tutorial.

Thanks for reading!
If you are using raw grain, remember that it must first be malted. Once I had thought about this, too. I would plant a plot of barley have my own hops growing and make a special edition beer each year from that plot. Until, I read how to malt grain. It is quite a process, one that I am not all that interested in anymore, at least not yet. I would still like to do that at some point but I am just not sure I have the patience or time to tend my "beer farm" :)

We malted a few pounds of barley once for a fun project. Used it in a beer as a small portion of the mash. It was kind of involved, but fun. Not much more difficult than making your own sprouts.

I really doubt that without special equipment and technique, you can get very good yields out of home-malted grain, but that's just a guess. Personally, I'll buy it. It's pretty cheap stuff considering what you end up with ;)

Back