alpha acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
What exactly are alpha acids? And how do you equate your hops properly for additions? I'm making a scatch amber ale extract with amber dme crisp amber malt with some flaked barley.. All the hops I have are left overs..1gram of cascade...3 grams citra 1 gram sazz and a little bit of Amarillo...I was trying to save a little money and use what I had left any combination suggestions?

grams or ounces?

I'd use the hops in an Pale Ale/IPA. I'm at work so I can't do the IBU calcs.
0.75 oz Citra @ 60min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10min
0.5 oz Citra @ 10min
0.75 oz Citra @ 1min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 1min

Dry Hop
0.5 oz Cascade @ 14days
0.5 oz Citra @ 14days
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 14days

Alpha acids (α acids) are a class of chemical compounds primarily of importance to the production of beer. They are found in the resin glands of the flowers of the hop plant and are the source of hop bitterness. Alpha acids may be isomerized to form iso-alpha acids by the application of heat in solution. Iso-alpha acids (iso-α-acids) are typically produced in beer from the addition of hops to the boiling wort. The degree of isomerization and the amount of bitter flavor produced by the addition of hops is highly dependent on the length of time the hops are boiled. Longer boil times will result in isomerization of more of the available alpha acids.

dbreienrk1 said:
grams or ounces?

I'd use the hops in an Pale Ale/IPA. I'm at work so I can't do the IBU calcs.
0.75 oz Citra @ 60min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10min
0.5 oz Citra @ 10min
0.75 oz Citra @ 1min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 1min

Dry Hop
0.5 oz Cascade @ 14days
0.5 oz Citra @ 14days
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 14days

It's In grams...what hops r good for an amber?

Back