Ideal conditioning temperature range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpcsatx

Reaction score
I wanted to get feedback on what would be the best conditioning temperature for basic ales using current extract and partial mash recipes for a new brewer. We plan on racking to a secondary and then finally to cornies for all our conditioning and later transferring to bottles as needed. We will follow the 123 method advocated on this forum. Our primary fermenting freezer is a small 5 cubic foot freezer that will hold our primary fermenter. Because of our location, (Texas), we plan on conditioning in a 14 cubic foot freezer; both freezers are regulated of course. Do cool temperature fluctuations (i.e…40 – 70 degrees) cause problems with the finished beer? If it does not, this would allow us to due multiple batches starting out.

Thanx for the help in advance!:D

From what I have learned, it really depends on the style of ale. Wheats do better at higher temps (60 degrees-up) while other styles like kolschs and steam beers you can almost treat a lagers (the cooler the better).

Back