Snow!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OMG PANIC IN DC!

ok now that were done panicking... whos brewing :)

I wasn't planing on it, but DC cant deal with .5 inches of snow... and were looking at 10-18 inches..... so, cant leave the house!

Thinking Ill redo a Scottish 60! I have my Edinburgh yeast, but no starter....not much point in making one tomorrow for 4 hours later.

I would use a pre-boil volume of about 1-2 quarts less than expected to compensate for all the snow your going to boil.

Also you should make it a winter beer and call it snowkitten.

Good luck, guys. I'll be thinking about you brave MD/DC area snow brewers while I'm warm inside, reading How To Brew by the fire as I smoke my pipe and quaff a nice mug of apfelgrog. Know that I would be among you if circumstances allowed.

Godspeed.

oh , ill be inside.... Im doing a brew with one hop addition (which will be done as first wort, ie inside) ill need to run out 4-5 times.... but thats it.

It's coming down in western NC right now. Large, beautiful flakes. It's supposed to dump snow like this for 24 hours+

I know you midwesterners don't want to hear this, but I'm loving it!

a week is optimistic for us southerners to deal with snow....

Didn't know that DC'rs considered them selves as Southerners...:p

Storm is coming up this way Saturday into Sunday the stupid weatherman are saying we can get 3-4" or up to 24" all depends on the track. I would like 24" myself us Northerners can handle it .... We gots them snow plows ya know:D

native DC people get mad when you say that yes... but the mason dixon is 120 miles north so...... and im from the snow belt and have no sympathy for them :)

So does the Mason Dixon line make DE a northern state and MD a southern since it runs north to south unlike the east to west boarder of Penn ... Always wondered about that

Make sure you gather up lots snow to use for chilling. Recirculate snow water through your chiller coil. It works great. I get to use that method 6 months out of the year

dunno......someone on another message board described DC like this... where northern hospitality meets southern efficiency :D

So does the Mason Dixon line make DE a northern state and MD a southern since it runs north to south unlike the east to west boarder of Penn ... Always wondered about that

Depends on who you ask. Joe Biden will tell you

My state [Delaware] was a slave state. My state is a border state. My state is the eighth largest black population in the country. My state is anything from a northeast liberal state.

super excited to stay in and brew.

also kegging! yay for yeast cakes to brew on top of instead of having to make starters

OMG quit wining j/k. We're finally above zero up in da midwest der (MN). And hardly any snow. Just not right to have negative temps and no snow. At least ice fishing is just around the corner. LOL At least you can use the snow to cool your wort.

I think your considering the snow to be a bad thing. Im in Canada, no escape for me from the white hell lol. The one good thing i can say about a canadian winter is a 'canadian beer fridge' your beer will stay nice and cold outside no matter how long it takes to drink it. also Hitting the BBQ is awesome in the winter set your beer in the snow and to keep yourself warm stay close to the BBQ.

cheers and beers guys!

I think your considering the snow to be a bad thing. Im in Canada, no escape for me from the white hell lol. The one good thing i can say about a canadian winter is a 'canadian beer fridge' your beer will stay nice and cold outside no matter how long it takes to drink it. also Hitting the BBQ is awesome in the winter set your beer in the snow and to keep yourself warm stay close to the BBQ.

cheers and beers guys!

I like snow as long as I am inside my 74° house looking at it :D

Ha! The weather-guessers were threatening snow next week, now it's sunshine. No telling what it will be tomorrow. I thought the weather in Ithaca, NY changed fast!

There was actually a lot of popular support for succession in Maryland. The state song was originally written as a rallying cry for Maryland to rise up with the rest of the south. The governor of Maryland actually authorized the destruction of several bridges and railroads to slow union soldiers making its way into the state. The Union put a garrison on Federal Hill with orders to pound the rest of the city into submission in the event of an uprising.

That said, Maryland also was one of the states with the largest population of freed slaves. There was a very large abolitionist sentiment among Marylanders. I'm not sure it was as big as a 50/50 split, but it caused a lot of tension in the state. At the time, Maryland was going through its own "identity crisis" that mirrored the rest of the nation's.

But can a geographic location be tied to an ideology relating to a matter that was settled 145 years ago?

tl;dr, it's snowing! Wooo beer!

There was actually a lot of popular support for succession in Maryland. The state song was originally written as a rallying cry for Maryland to rise up with the rest of the south. The governor of Maryland actually authorized the destruction of several bridges and railroads to slow union soldiers making its way into the state. The Union put a garrison on Federal Hill with orders to pound the rest of the city into submission in the event of an uprising.

That said, Maryland also was one of the states with the largest population of freed slaves. There was a very large abolitionist sentiment among Marylanders. I'm not sure it was as big as a 50/50 split, but it caused a lot of tension in the state. At the time, Maryland was going through its own "identity crisis" that mirrored the rest of the nation's.

But can a geographic location be tied to an ideology relating to a matter that was settled 145 years ago?

tl;dr, it's snowing! Wooo beer!

all that matters is MD brewing is the BESTEST!

I shall be snowing brewing this weekend as well. I think I'm going to start selling my brews and use the money to buy a helicopter so I don't have to deal with the traffic here anymore

I'll probably do a tiny extract batch during the holidays to relieve some boredom. Then I'll buy some more equipment and switch to AG in early January.

We don't have much snow around though. People's lawns are still more green than white.

i'm thinking about brewing. i've got to bottle about 3 cases tomorrow, but why not? i've got stuff for an IPA, might as well. maybe my blonde ale.

so u snow brewing?

I haven't brewed in about 2 months it depressing . I even unplugged the kegerator and I am using the little Vissani kegerator only one keg left in the pipeline looks like I will be drinking store bought soon. Just no time with the holidays . I can't even get to the Chevelle I cut the drivers floor pan out 3 weeks ago and I have the replacement all ready to weld in. It feels like I go to bed Friday night and wake up to Monday morning.

And on top of it SWMBO is having a crap load of kids and parents over on Sunday to bake friggin cookies ...... I'm just going to start drinking tonight. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I carry 12" of snow around with me everywhere I go..... Ok so maybe more like 3" but who's counting.

I had intended to brew Saturday but had plans come up to do something in Germantown so pushed my brew day to last night. Stayed up till 2 in the morning brewing a Baltic porter and tried my first small beer from the last runnings. Porter was fermenting nicely this morning, small beer not so much.

Back