mashing steeping grains???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the rite place to ask this but here go's. What are the ill effects of just placeing your steeping grains (crystal/special B and such) into the mash instead of steeping them seprat? Getting ready for my first all grain and woundering if you have to steep them

If you are mini-mashing or doing all grain, just toss all the grains together and mash them all.

Thanks brewsmith I think I read to much on here sometimes and confuse myself :) Was just kinda unsure that since the starches had already been convirted in these grains that I may over convert them by mashing. Didnt want to cause bitterness in me brew

When you do all-grain, all the grain gets milled together and all mashed at the same time. No need to keep things separate.

The main thing to consider about AG is that you're doing more then just "mashing" when you're in the mash stage. The basic definition of mash is converting starches to sugars....but when you're soaking the grains in 150+ temperature ranges, you're also extracting residual proteins and flavors just as you would if you were "steeping" in extract. The main difference between "mashing" and "steeping" with brewing is that "mashing" insures a more effecient way of fully converting starches to sugars.

Latest posts

Back