cleaning bottles with caustic soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if it is fine to clean bottles with caustic soda. I'm planning to clean them with caustic soda than wash it with an acid solution (like vinegar) to neutralize the possible residues, then wash again with hot water.

What do you think?

regards

I think you are going overboard.

If your bottles are dirty enough to break out the caustic soda, then you need new bottles.

Oxyclean is good for more than just your laundry. And Sanitizers are your insurance policy.

The probem is, I don't have oxyclean. Is it ok if I just wash my bottles with peroxyacetic acid? I washed my bottles but it seems to have a little residue in the bottom, I'm worried that the acid wont sanitize it enough and my beer will get infected :(

StarSan is an Acid sanitizer ph of 3.

I am no chemist but, if you are there or lower I don't think the bugs will know what hit them or care.

Just curious, you don't have a supermarket or, are you on the other side of that pond thing?

lol, I live in Brazil. Even though there are supermarkets nearby, they don't sell this stuff. Just things like bleach, caustic soda, soaps, and stuff like that. Starsan is not available here either. :/

Homebrewing is not well disseminated here yet.

good. I was worried that the soda could eat my insides :D
I guess that washing it thoroughly will do.

bleach works quite well for cleaning bottles. not as nasty to work with as lye either...

+1 to bleach. A warm bleach solution does a good job of dissolving and loosening organic deposits such as would be in beer bottles. Soak for a few hours then rinse well.

Back