looking to clone Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stale

Reaction score
Last weekend I found a motherlode of imported beers in a little deli shop in Hayden Lk. , Idaho. I live in the Tri-Cities, Wash. which is about a 3 hr. drive away. There must have been about 50 different types and styles. Sooo... like a kid in a candy store bought a few. One of the ones I tried was a Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout that had me licking my lips for more...more...more! Has anyone tried this and or have a clone of this delicious ale?

What was the store? I have only tried the Sam Smith Oatmeal stout. I am always interested in a local(ish) beer haven.

It's actually a deli with imported wine and beer sales also. It's called Daanen's off Prarie and between Government Way and 4th I believe. There Deli Sandwiches were excellent also.

I would third that. Brewpastor's 888RIS is really close and not to be overlooked by fans of the style, but the Sam Smith RIS is beauty no doubt.

So Poindexter, have you had the Sam Smith Imperial Stout and Brewpastors?
If you have and Brewpastors is close where would I find his recipe? I'll check the recipe section and check it out if I can find it.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I imagine I'm not the only one who is interested in cloning this beer. According to Merchant du Vin, the company that imports this beer into the U.S., the ABV is 7%, the OG is 1.070, and the IBUs are 35. Yes, I know those numbers are awfully low for the style, but I have no reason to doubt them. My best guess for Samuel Smith's yeast is WLP037. As for the grist, I'd use Maris Otter for the base malt, along with plenty of crystal malt and chocolate malt. I detect the roasty flavor of roast barley, but don't taste the burnt flavor of black malt. As for hops, some English varieties for bittering and for flavor, but nothing for aroma.

Latest posts

Back