Maple Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keln

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine lastnight about my mead and wine-making endeavours and he posed the question "Could you make mead with maple syrup instead of honey?"

Well, I didn't know what to tell him. Can you do that? Is it even called mead if you do? Does it taste like mead? Anyone tried this?

If you make with maple syrup instead of honey, it isn't mead. Doesn't mean it can't be good. If he can get ahold of it, I'd recommend he uses a Grade B or C syrup. The grading system was put in place when maple syrup was used mainly as a cooking sweetner, so the LESS flavor the syrup has the higher the grade. Vermonters defend this system by calling the lack of flavor "delicate". I used to date one. "You can tell a Vermonter, but you can't tell them much."

Well, i'm not sure what it's called... we call it maple wine and make it from a top-secret recipe we had to get translated from italian... all I can say is that it goes really really fast.

we start with maple sap, add some crushed fruit, some other stuff, and let 'er sit.

good luck with it!

lj

Back