Best way and place to store bulk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I just bought three pounds from hopsdirect.com and am thinking about seperating them into 2 ounce packages and vacuum sealing them...then into the freezer.....bad idea/good idea?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
Joe:rockin:

Exactly what you want to do, vaccuum seal and freeze. I would actually keep each varietal in a larger vaccuum pack and then take what you need and reseal. Not that what you plan is wrong at all, just that you probably will use more or less than 2oz/batch so you will always have oddball amounts to deal with.

That might be a better idea....vacuum seal the whole thing...use what I need on brewday and reseal the same bag....probably be cheaper in te long run.

Thanks

That might be a better idea....vacuum seal the whole thing...use what I need on brewday and reseal the same bag....probably be cheaper in te long run.

Thanks

I actual prefer the smaller packages. With the smaller packs you won't expose all of that type of hop to air ever time you need some. But either way should work fine.

Isomerized in a solution of ethanol, water, carbon dioxide, and some dextrins.

:confused::confused::confused:

I just bought 4 lbs from Hopsdirect and learned a pretty cool trick on this forum: if you take what you need out each time from the 1 lb bags, you can then reseal that bag by ironing over the opening with hot clothes iron. It works great!

I need ideas for recipes...IPA'a APA's REDS etc....I bought centennial, cascade and kent goldings....any takers?

I need ideas for recipes...IPA'a APA's REDS etc....I bought centennial, cascade and kent goldings....any takers?

Going through hopsdirect, did you get kent goldings or US goldings? Just curious because I just placed my order, and went with the US cause I couldn't find their UK Kent goldings

There is NO good way to store your hops. The ONLY reasonable thing to do is to brew up a batch of beer and use all 3 lbs. USE THEM ALL AT ONCE! It's the only way. Trust me ;)

Back