Newport Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed with Newport Hops? I'd never heard of them until today. I did a little research and found an article about them here. I also found that Rogue has used them in their Hop Heaven Ale, which I believe you can only get at their pubs in CA. Anyone had the pleasuring of sipping this ale? It also looks like Rogue may have had a hand in 'beta testing' these hops and may have been the only brewers using them for a time.

I saw today that Freshops now has them and I'm considering buying some. But I wanted to get opinions from y'all!:confused: :)

So the name Newport most likely refers to the Rogue Brewery's home town in Oregon?

I've never tried em. Sounds like a fun experiment :D

I was hoping you'd chime in here, Janx, and tell me you'd had this ale. Or used the hops! I can get Rogue beers here, but not this one, AFAIK.

I think I'm gonna spring for them. I won a $25 Visa gift card and I think I'm gonna use it!:ban:

I have used these hops as a bittering hop in my ESB, one of the best beers I've made so far. Found your link to the forum as I Googled them to find another supplier as mine was out of them. Have not had a chance to try the Rogue beer.

I just bought a pound of these. Thinking of doing a Two-hearted clone, but subbing out the centennials for newport hops. Just to kind of showcase the hop, which I'm not too familiar with. Think that would be good?

Being from Rhode Island, I had to try Newport hops. I used them to bitter an American amber which I called Aquidneck Amber - Aquidneck being the island Newport is on. I then used Cascade and Challenger for flavor and aroma.

The beer is very good, one of the best I've made.

Being from Rhode Island, I had to try Newport hops. I used them to bitter an American amber which I called Aquidneck Amber - Aquidneck being the island Newport is on. I then used Cascade and Challenger for flavor and aroma.

As this was developed in Oregon, it's probably named for Newport, Oregon :D

just so you know newport hops was named not on the RI side but of the Oregon side iirc..

I actually am growing my own Newport , cascade and centennial hops in my back yard garden..

Yeah, I know. There's some vineyards in the Newport, RI area, but no hop farms! I had to use it just because of the name.

Actually...we're only about 15 minutes from Newport, RI: www.oceanstatehops.com!

We grow Newport as one of our varieties and they did very well this year. I haven't used them personally yet, but I plan on trying some in a brew before they're all gone.

Newport has been one of my best producers in my small yard out of about 10 varieties.

I have also brewed dedicated pale ales with Newport as the only hop. A tad on the harsh side, IMO, but still very tasty.

Actually...we're only about 15 minutes from Newport, RI: www.oceanstatehops.com!

We grow Newport as one of our varieties and they did very well this year. I haven't used them personally yet, but I plan on trying some in a brew before they're all gone.

FWIW I used some Ocean State hops (they were nice enough to send me some to try) in perhaps my favorite beer to date - a hoppy American Amber (Little Rhody Red). I used Newport for bittering and Cascade (and some non-Ocean State Amarillo) for flavor, aroma, and dry-hop. Good hops.

Where in Rhode Island are you? I live in Southeastern CT and also grow my own Newport, Cascade and Centennial hops. The Newports did great this year and I am about to dry hop an IPA with them. The Centennials also did well but the Cascades were the low producers.

Newport has been one of my best producers in my small yard out of about 10 varieties.

I have also brewed dedicated pale ales with Newport as the only hop. A tad on the harsh side, IMO, but still very tasty.

Because I feel powerful resurrecting the dead... :rockin:

Used Newport twice at 60 mins each batch and had MAD astringency which takes at least a month of bottle conditioning just to tame. The first batch was 1oz:5gal@60min last was 0.5oz:5gal@60min and both were uncomfortably astringent.

Next time I'm going to try 1oz@20mins and see if I can get the fuggle out to give some aromatics.

Be sparing with Newport.

Anyone else using Newport hops now ?

Got about 3oz dry from my first year plant, and now looking to do a IIPA of some sort. They seem like a pretty nice bittering hop...

This looks very promising. I am just scared I don't have a good flavoring hop.

I used to grow Newport, and it was a great producer every year, that is before my neighbor spilled Roundup on the other side of our fence a few feet from my Newport and EKG. I used Newport interchangeably with Galena and Warrior pellets when I wanted a firm and fairly neutral and high alpha bittering hop in all kinds of ales. For whatever reason, it always shined in my ESB's and English IPA's.

As for flavor and aroma... meh, IMO. Not bad per se, but there are better aroma/flavor varieties.

I used to grow Newport, and it was a great producer every year, that is before my neighbor spilled Roundup on the other side of our fence a few feet from my Newport and EKG. I used Newport interchangeably with Galena and Warrior pellets when I wanted a firm and fairly neutral and high alpha bittering hop in all kinds of ales. For whatever reason, it always shined in my ESB's and English IPA's.

As for flavor and aroma... meh, IMO. Not bad per se, but there are better aroma/flavor varieties.
I have read they are pretty resilient, and I plan on growing my own soon. Probably gonna grab these.

How would you describe the flavor? I only see that they're hay-like and herbaceous. But everything else points to mildew resistance, new variety and high Alpha.

I have read they are pretty resilient, and I plan on growing my own soon. Probably gonna grab these.

How would you describe the flavor? I only see that they're hay-like and herbaceous. But everything else points to mildew resistance, new variety and high Alpha.

Herbal, slightly piney, earthy. Sort of like Northern Brewer but not as pronounced.

Herbal, slightly piney, earthy. Sort of like Northern Brewer but not as pronounced.

Awesome. Thank you. Would a pale ale benefit from a late addiction of these? I plan on 2oz at 60 minutes and maybe .5oz at 15 for a 5 gallon boil. I'm looking for a high IBU and wanted to test a simple SMASH with crisp and herbal vibes.

Back