Carboy Cleaner issue (BYO magazine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBell

Reaction score
Awhile ago, BYO had an article in it about a copper carboy cleaner. Well, I've been wanting to learn how to solder, so I thought that might be a good starter project, as I'm transitioning to better bottles, and wanted to use solid pipe, I got 1/2 inch pipe.

I think it turned out well, but the one problem I had was this. The article said to use a female adaptor 1/2" X 3/4". So I did. This is a piece that solders onto the end of the pipe, allowing me to connect to a garden hose.

The problem is that the durn thing won't catch the threads on my hoses (either one), thus the tool is useless.

My question, is this the wrong fitting? are both of my hoses somehow not standard (bent, worn etc) or what is the problem? I'm sorry the article isn't online, but the part can be seen at:

603 ADAPTER-FEMALE 1/2X3/8 COPPER CXF

or

MH657429.jpg

yes that is the wrong fitting. What you have is a 3/4 pipe thread not a Garden Hose thread.
The easy fix is to go and get a fitting that has a male 3/4 pipe thread on one end and a female garden hose fitting on the other end. Then just thread it into the one you have.

Latest posts

Back