Specialty IPA: Belgian IPA Slightly Stoopid Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY Trappist High Gravity 3787
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1.5 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
24 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
No
Tasting Notes
Crisp finish with a lot of tropical fruit notes both on the palate and in the nose.
25e3cb8cfe09916a8d763fe860b129c6_640x640.jpg

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Slightly Stoopid - Belgian IPA
Author: Remmy

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Pale Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.63%
IBU (tinseth): 79.65
SRM (morey): 4.11

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - German - Pilsner (78.4%)
1 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (7.8%)
1 lb - German - Wheat Malt (7.8%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (3.9%)
0.25 lb - Rice Hulls (2%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.79
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 17.47
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 28.54
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.85
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.2, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 4.25 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 6 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.4 qt/lb

YEAST:
Wyeast - Trappist High Gravity 3787
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 78 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: Corn Sugar
Amount: 3.4 oz. (40F temp)
CO2 Level: 2.3 Volumes

Crisp finish with a lot of tropical fruit notes both on the palate and in the nose. The aroma is incredible. Tropical fruit notes - mainly tangerine, orange zest and grapefruit. On the palate, I get a nice sweetness from the malt and yeast along with a lot of grapefruit. This is my favorite of all the IPAs I've ever brewed.

Note: My LHBS doesn't carry Belgian Pilsner or Belgian Wheat. Therefore, I subbed with German Pilsner and German Wheat.

995652_770217559703831_6844312868824663287_n.jpg

Making an imperial version this weekend.

Think this is third in line for brewing now this thing has been staring at me on untapped to long lol can't wait to see how the imperial version comes out for you

Any recommendations for yeast sub on this Rem?

I thinking I might brew this over break, but 3787 is out of stock.

Any recommendations for yeast sub on this Rem?

I thinking I might brew this over break, but 3787 is out of stock.

I brewed the imperial version of this beer with Belgian Abbey. Safe bet would be an American ale yeast strain (US05 or 1056). But I really wanted to put a twist on this beer with a belgian strain. That's why I went with 3787 for the normal version. I love this beer.

10/4 I usually buy from farm house brewing and they've got Belgian abbey 1 & 2 in stock

They should have omegas Conan in stock monday too so I might brewed your other DIPA that you've got up here

Brew day went smooth. Actually was nice since temps were above zero,

Hit numbers spot on, 1.056

Got it fermenting away now, so im pretty excited.

Dam a 12% DIPA on tap would be dangerous

Maybe I'll ship you some of it when it's done to critique

Tossed this in the keg today. With the dry hop, this is like a tropical punch to the nose. Really happy with this, can't wait till its carbed.

1.056 - 1.006 with abbey II

I've set to brew this again this weekend w/ Galaxy instead of mosaic

Rnd. 1 was awesome. Hopefully round 2 will equally as good.

Brewed this for the 5th or 6th time already. About to dry-hop the latest batch!

I am definitely going to give this one a try! On the plus side SWMBO isn't a fan of hoppy beer so I'll just have to drink for the both of us!:mug:
Remmy do you have any variations that you would recommend? I will definitely stick to the OG recipe first but maybe change it up down the line. I was thinking about giving Omega Tropical IPA yeast a go on this just to see what characteristics it could impart

@remmy - I see you swapped out galaxy for mosaic. Which version do you like better. I’m planning to brew this on Friday! I really enjoyed your Bonita Hoppelbum recipe btw.

@remmy - I see you swapped out galaxy for mosaic. Which version do you like better. I’m planning to brew this on Friday! I really enjoyed your Bonita Hoppelbum recipe btw.

My favorite hop combo in the last batch I brewed 2 weeks seems to be the best: Mosaic and Columbus.

Here's the hop schedule:

0.25 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.8
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.98
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.94
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 21.87
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.02
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.93
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

I have not brewed a better beer than this last version.

Remmy, thanks for the great recipes! I have some washed 1388/3787 yeast blend from a golden strong, and was planning on doing a triple with it. Until this caught my eye.

What do you think about adding an extra 2lb of sugar to dry it out and calling this a hoppy triple? Maybe an lb or two extra grain? Oats? Or stick to OP?

Remmy, thanks for the great recipes! I have some washed 1388/3787 yeast blend from a golden strong, and was planning on doing a triple with it. Until this caught my eye.

What do you think about adding an extra 2lb of sugar to dry it out and calling this a hoppy triple? Maybe an lb or two extra grain? Oats? Or stick to OP?

No problem.

I've never considered adding oats to this recipe. The body is exactly where I feel it needs to be.

What I really like about the 3787 is the character is gives to this beer. It gives the brew such a distinct flavor from many of the other IPAs I brew.

You wouldn't end up with the sweetness one would look for in an IPA if you were to add 2 lbs. of sugar. I typically like my IPAs in the 1.012-1.015 range. I made a hoppy tripel once. Solid beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=543858

If you're brave, check-out the imperial version of Slightly Stoopid. I brewed this once and had it on-tap. For whatever reason, it felt way stronger than 12% ABV. After 2 pints, I'd be a little wavy. I think @patrickgoss almost died after drinking a growler of it. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=511655

Thanks Remmy - I'll probably stick with the original grain bill + your latest Columbus/Mosaic vibe. Might just add 0.5lb extra cane sugar and half the dry hopping; lighten it just a little, leave the yeast room to shine. Triple/IPA compromise. :)

How about some brett c in the mix?

Thinking of 1388+3787 combo in primary, with a gallon or two siphoned off during bottling for some brett c in secondary.

Or maybe just go all out 1388 + 3787 + brett c in primary?

Just got done mashing in! [emoji481][emoji41]View attachment 416426

Nice! I just gone done pouring a pint of it. :D

How about some brett c in the mix?

Thinking of 1388+3787 combo in primary, with a gallon or two siphoned off during bottling for some brett c in secondary.

Or maybe just go all out 1388 + 3787 + brett c in primary?

Obviously would not net the same beer. But I'm not opposed to you giving that a try and sharing with us your findings after the first, few pints!

Just added the dry hops today. Color is spot on. Tasted great. FG made it all the way down to 1.008! That makes the beer 6.5%.

I've wanted to brew this beer for a while now - it looks fantastic and I've brewed 4 or 5 of Remmy's recipes now and they've all turned out great. Anyway, I finally got around to it today. I did substitute 2 Row for the Pilsner malt since I have a ton on hand and couldn't get up to the LHBS this week, but hopefully it'll still be awesome (with that hop bill, how could it not?)

Guys, how do you check someone's list of submitted recipes with the new software?
Before it was a drop down under the avatar but now I can't find it.
There were a few from Remmy I wanted to try.

Thanks! ;)

Brewed this recently and just tapped the keg...wow fantastic recipe thanks Remmy! I used columbus and simcoe for bittering and then columbus and mosaic in a hopstand and dryhop.
aviary-image-1528241849851.jpeg

Brewed this 2 weeks ago really excited to see how it turns out! The yeast went nuts and made quite a mess but so far seems like it'll be totally worth it. Been wanting to brew a Belgian ipa since I started brewing so I'm trusting you Remmy [emoji6]

Back