Winter Seasonal Beer Buffalo Sweat Clone; Pumpkin and Vanilla Bean versions as well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed today. I'll split the batch half regular half vanilla bean.

Used 1272 for yeast

I also subbed hops to use up some I had that the interwebs said were subs

Palisade for buttering and williamette at 5min

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed a version of this today. Same grain bill but subbed Mt.Hood and willamette. Also spiced at the end of boil, going for a gingerbread stout that will be put on nitro when the season hits. Cheers!:mug:

This looks awesome! Probably going to do this on my next batch. I'm looking at doing the vanilla version. May end up tweaking it some so will let you know how that goes.

Any thoughts on using rum or whiskey instead of vodka for the vanilla?

This looks awesome! Probably going to do this on my next batch. I'm looking at doing the vanilla version. May end up tweaking it some so will let you know how that goes.

The rum or whiskey may impart a little flavor but I dont think it would be bad, just noticeable. Vodka is used when you dont want to have that flavor.

I shared the vanilla version with my home brew club on Friday and it was very well received. I am taking a case of the vanilla bean and a case of the pumpkin this weekend to a party so we will see how the under educated beer drinkers like it!

I shared the vanilla version with my home brew club on Friday and it was very well received. I am taking a case of the vanilla bean and a case of the pumpkin this weekend to a party so we will see how the under educated beer drinkers like it!

Awesome! Honestly, I may end up changing it up a decent bit to fit more into the "Oatmeal Stout" category with a bit higher IBU's. I am fairly new to brewing and have really been wanting to do a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout and your recipe looks like an awesome base to work off of.

Taking a sample tonight to see how the spices are coming together and cause it's been stairing at me for the past three weeks saying drink me

Think I'm bottling saturday perfect spices and nose this is going to be killer with carb. Question in the nose how up front is it before carbing and I'm guess more before bottling is better

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414539596.453407.jpg

So I said I was going to tweak it some but I think I may have completely butchered/changed your recipe. :( I hope that is an ok thing to do? Here is what I will probably end up doing, but still need to throw it in beersmith and tweak it. I think at some point I am going to give your base recipe a shot as is though! I need more fermenters...

US-04
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs English Roasted Barley
.5 lbs crystal 120
.5 Chocolate
1 lbs Flaked Oats
.5 lbs Briess Victory

Mash @ 156 - 60 mins
Mashout @168 - 10 mins

2 Oz Willamette (60)
.5 lbs Lactose (60)

Primary 21
Secondary 7
3 Vanilla Beans Seconday in Vodka

So I said I was going to tweak it some but I think I may have completely butchered/changed your recipe. :( I hope that is an ok thing to do? Here is what I will probably end up doing, but still need to throw it in beersmith and tweak it. I think at some point I am going to give your base recipe a shot as is though! I need more fermenters...

US-04
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs English Roasted Barley
.5 lbs crystal 120
.5 Chocolate
1 lbs Flaked Oats
.5 lbs Briess Victory

Mash @ 156 - 60 mins
Mashout @168 - 10 mins

2 Oz Willamette (60)
.5 lbs Lactose (60)

Primary 21
Secondary 7
3 Vanilla Beans Seconday in Vodka

Thats the greatest thing about home brewing, being able to change a recipe to whatever you please. I take no offence at all! Its actually pretty dang close still.

Thats the greatest thing about home brewing, being able to change a recipe to whatever you please. I take no offence at all! Its actually pretty dang close still.

Awesome! I will definitely let you know how it turns out. This will be my first 5 Gallon All Grain (did a SMaSH 2.75 with my current setup and that was close to overflow with the grains). So I am waiting on some new gear, so it may be a few weeks, but I will definitely report back.

Yep. Off the top of my head, the first one with an og of 1.050ish ended right at 1.020 or 1.019. This last one that started at 1.068 finished at 1.026. I actually prefer the second one as its sweeter but both were good. Anything above 1.016 should have a nice mouthfeel and sweetness though.

Edit: also, a few tallgrass brewers in my home brew club confirmed that they use 1098 on this and actually all of their beers. They said they use them up to ten generations with great success.

Yep. Off the top of my head, the first one with an og of 1.050ish ended right at 1.020 or 1.019. This last one that started at 1.068 finished at 1.026. I actually prefer the second one as its sweeter but both were good. Anything above 1.016 should have a nice mouthfeel and sweetness though.

Edit: also, a few tallgrass brewers in my home brew club confirmed that they use 1098 on this and actually all of their beers. They said they use them up to ten generations with great success.

Thanks for the info. 1.068 - 1.020 is what I ended up with.

1098 is a nice strain. I think surly uses it for bender

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Holy **** this is amazing sampling what was left in the bottling bucket my god this is one killer brew even with out carbonation got 44 bottles some how came up 1/2 gal short think it was all the debris in the fermenter from the actual pumpkin in the boil kettle that got me, I'm happy tho and thanks for the recipe fins we might have to do a bottle swap so you can see if there is a difference or not with pumpkin in the boil.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415331035.688977.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415331070.257619.jpg

Holy **** this is amazing sampling what was left in the bottling bucket my god this is one killer brew even with out carbonation got 44 bottles some how came up 1/2 gal short think it was all the debris in the fermenter from the actual pumpkin in the boil kettle that got me, I'm happy tho and thanks for the recipe fins we might have to do a bottle swap so you can see if there is a difference or not with pumpkin in the boil.

View attachment 234308
View attachment 234310

Glad the sample tasted good! I am sure it tastes fantastic with real pumpkin and the spices. I will have to attempt that way next year. good work!

So carbed up and tasty I had one Monday and the clove was way over powering but today the spices seem to be blending together with the carb and are sort balanced alittle better still clovy think I might only add one clove next year or two for only few days before bottling, but we will see what this turns into in a few weeks tho too loving it great brew for sure

So carbed up and tasty I had one Monday and the clove was way over powering but today the spices seem to be blending together with the carb and are sort balanced alittle better still clovy think I might only add one clove next year or two for only few days before bottling, but we will see what this turns into in a few weeks tho too loving it great brew for sure

The first time i brewed that i used ground clove and added way too much. Last time i made it with whole ones and it turned out great. I hope it mellows out soon!

The rum or whiskey may impart a little flavor but I dont think it would be bad, just noticeable. Vodka is used when you dont want to have that flavor.

I ended up using Maker's 46 for my vanilla...I didn't have any vodka and didn't really want to pick up a bottle....I fairly cheap.

I'll report back when it's carbed up.

The last few beers I've done w/ vanilla, the 2 oz of bourbon wasn't really noticeable, if at all.

Went 3, small, vanilla beans in 2oz Makers in 2.5 Gal.

I bought the ingredients today for the standard version. What difference can I expect going with the domestic 300L organic roasted barley instead of the English roasted barley at 500L? The ingredients are already bought and ground, so there's no going back to that decision. Just wondering what I can expect.

I brewed this a couple weeks back as the AG pumpkin version. I upped the chocolate malt, added cocoa nibs, and added 1 can of pumpkin to the boil and 1 can in secondary, along with pumpkin pie spice. Although I just bottle 6 days ago, I couldn't wait and tried my first last night. Mind blowing! It's already entered in a big beers competition. I'll update with results.

Sub'd, been looking for a solid vanilla stout, one that has noticeable vanilla to it with a good chocolate and roast back end to it, does this fit into that?

Got WLP 005 on accident instead of 007. Also have US-04 on hand. Which would work better?

@finsfan

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday and will be adding vanilla beans after about 10 days or so. Thinking of using bourbon instead of vodka. How much bourbon should I use? Also, I never rack to secondary. Is it necessary for this? Cheers.

Attachments

• 50D85AA5-AFA8-4E49-8C3B-6046517CE8C1.jpeg
    50D85AA5-AFA8-4E49-8C3B-6046517CE8C1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
Back