Can you install a collar on a Chest Freezer with internal hinges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wipff

Reaction score
Hello:

I have an old Whirlpool chest freezer that I would like to add a wooden collar on, so I can install beer taps in my kegerator. The problem: I just noticed this freezer has internal door hinges and not the external ones. Is this a lost cause or is there some way to move the internal hinges up to account for the collar?

All the chest freezer to kegerator conversion helps I have found so far deal with only freezers with external door hinges.

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've never seen internal hinges on a chest freezer, so I'm having a hard time visualizing this. But I'd leave the hinges where they are and attach them to the inside of the collar. If the hinge would need to connect at a 90 degree angle then you could add another board, a 2x4, along the back bottom inside of the collar maybe?

The hinge.... it is set right into the wall of the freezer with a bolt on the back.
I can e-mail a photo if interested.
I just can't figure out how I could modify this...
Thanks

If that's your brewery name, it's a great one.

I've never seen a hinge like that. I can't see how it is attached inside the lid. I assume it must be sprung somehow. With a lid that thick, I'd think it would be pretty heavy.

It doesn't look like you could remove the bottom part of hinges. If you can detach the lid from the hinge, then you'd just have to fashion something on the collar at the same height and orientation as the current mounting location to screw the hinge into. Then just permanently bond your lid to the upper part of the collar, or attach it at the back with 3.5 inch door hinges, which is what I did on mine. That'll give you two ways to open the keezer, but you need to make sure your gaskets are in good condition and lined up properly.

looks like you can unbolt the hinge from the backside of the keezer. leave the hinge attached to the lid and just bolt that hinge through the collar. yeah your collar won't lift up, but at least you can make use of a taller keezer

-=Jason=-

Thanks, yes that is our brewery name. :)

I am now wondering if would be easy to just put a triple faucet tower on the lid. That way I won't have to put a collar on it and remove the lid at all. Would that work?

Thanks.

Let me guess.
Kenmore freezer

I have the exact same hinges on mine. I built a collar out of 1" plywood. For the back wall of the collar, I stuck 3 pieces together and drilled the middle layer and stuck the hinge pins in it.

If you undo the 2 screws on the back top of the freezer, the lid will lift straight up. The hinges are part of the lid, just stuck into the body of the freezer, held down by the weight of the lid.

Enjoy!

A buddy of mine has the exact same setup. Like ISLAGI said, you will need to double up on the wood in the back and drill holes where the pins should go. it will work just fine!

Are the holes for the pins drilled higher up on the freezer are attached to the collar itself?

Thanks. I think will give it a try this coming week. I think the collar is a much better idea in the long run than having to deal with a tower. I don't have a lot of room.
Thanks everyone.
I will keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks again for your time and advice. This was really helpful.

Are the holes for the pins drilled higher up on the freezer are attached to the collar itself?

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. I did an 8" collar on my keezer, because I wanted the height to put a 20# CO2 tank on the hump when I can afford it.

If I remember correctly, the pins were about 3 inches long. Looking at my faucets, I suppose you could do a 2 1/2" collar and that would let the pins still catch on the freezer holes but be tall enough for the plastic ring on the shanks. I didn't worry about the collar moving from the weight of the lid too much because of the counterweight of basically 28 sq ft of 1" thick plywood. I let gravity hold it all in place.

I did make one concession to adhesion/insulation, though. After I set the collar on some weatherstripping on top of the original opening, I went back and glued/sealed the collar to the chest with some expanding foam insulation.

Good luck, and Merry RamaKwanzaChristmaKah to all!

Enjoy!

Update.
The keezer turned out awesome. Got the collar installed and I put in four taps: 2- nitro and 2-CO2.

Thanks to everyone who replied!! Your posts were very helpful.

Thanks again!

J.

No problem .... :) . I will get some pictures tonight when I get home tonight.
Thanks.

Back