The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't back it up but a local radio guy claims if you timed the 'action' from snap-to-whistle of every play of a typ NFL football game the whole thing adds up to like 12 minutes.

Not a fan of the Dodge commercial because if you look at things today, we got neither right.:( Wouldn't surprise me if they had more freedom in the UK right now.

And that Twins/Braves series sucked big time, as many Georgia Tech students at that time would tell you.;)

Not at all...You must not understand the game

Question: do you consider bs passes in mid-field, chasing soccer balls out of bounds, flopping and crying on the field, intentional killing of the clock...etc "action"? I can't and I would argue that soccer has much less real action (in terms of timed minutes) than football.

Not at all...You must not understand the game

Question: do you consider bs passes in mid-field, chasing soccer balls out of bounds, flopping and crying on the field, intentional killing of the clock...etc "action"? I can't and I would argue that soccer has much less real action (in terms of timed minutes) than football.

Argue away then. i'm listening.

I guess that means you can't interpret my above post....

sheesh; and I thought soccer fans were sophisticated ;)

I was only kidding around before when I said you guys must not understand the game...but I guess I was right.

You do realize I'm more of a football fan than a futbol fan?

I just don't buy your argument.

Example - fullback dives up the middle, playing for the FG attempt at the end of the game rather than a TD, kneeling down at the end of halves, etc. are valid reasons as to why some perceive American football as boring as world futbol.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday, and just because there are zeros on the scoreboard doesn't mean it's not exciting.

It's just another dumbing down of America - we're programmed that more of everything is better.

There are also plenty of nuances that I respect a lot more with futbol than most other sports. If a ref misses a call, the team that was advantaged will often times turn the ball over on purpose. Imagine Kobe doing that when he constantly gets away with traveling :D

There's no sport that really has figured out how to keep the excitement up.
Baseball has no clock, so things can drag on and on.
Football has a clock, but they can stop it when they want and the clock can keep running while there is no playing going on.
Soccer has a clock that doesn't stop, but still most of the "action" is people trotting around mid-field and passing the ball back and forth.
Basketball... well, basketball is just a dumb sport. :D

The point being, they all have reasons you can point to them and say they're slow and boring if you don't get into them and enjoy the smaller nuances rather than just the big plays. Football would be pretty boring to you if all you were interested in were the 50 yard touchdown passes and were bored by the halfback pounding his way on 4th and inches. Same goes for soccer and what outsiders see as endless passing back and forth without seeming to try to take it to the goal.

I find it somewhat ironic that a lot of NFL fans complain about diving in footy, but whenever I watch an NFL game, I see fouls being called for gentle bumping when a receiver and a defender are running to get a pass. (and if it's not called, the receiver always pops up making that "throw the flag! throw the flag!" motion). Speaking of flags, how can NFL fans use the "pu**y" comment on football (sorry, saw-ker) when the game in America is officiated by guys in tight pants throwing delicate little flags into the air anytime someone twitches before the snap?

As for time wasting - how is it any different from when a team will take a knee in order to burn the last few minutes of a game? Or will just try and run the ball with short RB runs to "chew up the clock"? (EDIT, AZ_IPA already called that)

Well I may get to see tomorrow's game anyway. Got hit by a bad throw from third and broke my nose. No umping for me tomorrow. Who won today?

36757_409672179066_620469066_4537429_7619025_n.jpg

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me..

by the way ...I am the champion of the World Cup pick em league.

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

I'm so smart! You guys got smoked by a dude whos never watched the damn sport.

And shecky, BITUK guy isn't nearly as annoying at the BINY guys we have back in Arizona (and everywhere else, I'm sure).
FYP. Yep, back in Florida we have plenty of BINYs.;)

I don't claim murrican football to be any better than any other sport, it's just what I like.

PaulTheOctopus said:
I'm so smart! You guys got smoked by a mollusk whos never watched the damn sport.

I don't claim murrican football to be any better than any other sport, it's just what I like.

And that's how it should be. Each to their own. The thing that gets me is that much of the anti-s#ccer sentiments are based on nothing more than xenophobia. Oh noes! Them foreigners are trying to change our culture by attempting to make me like something THEY like.

Is anyone watching the Tour de France? Tell you what, after a month of the Vuvuzela.... it's a relief watching a sport without that annoying angry Bee sound.
But don't think we are through with it, in 4 years it's Brazil's corneta that will be annoying us :(

But don't think we are through with it, in 4 years it's Brazil's corneta that will be annoying us :(
*WARNING - This joke is more or less for LGI only, or anyone else born in Ireland or the UK and lived there in the 80s *

You mean like this corneta?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't actually hate soccer... I just like harassing people and ****ing them off. :D

Hey... maybe that means I have what it takes to be a soccer fan after all! ;)

I've been here ten years. The wife says I've modified my accent and she misses it as it used to be. Every once in a while, I will remember a word that i had forgotten from the old days and sneak it into a sentence just to keep her intrigued. :D

I've been here 20 years (since I was a wee lad of 7), and still to this day use words and phrases that are distinctly British without realising that I'm doing it. I always figure it out quickly when my wife or friends stare at me quizzically... And I refused to change my spelling, in case you didn't notice ;)

sheesh; and I thought soccer fans were sophisticated ;)
Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentleman. The fans... hooligans either way :p

You mean like this corneta?
Great, now I want one, thanks...

You bastard.... now I just want Cadbury cream eggs (the best candy ever made, by the way.) And sucks for me until next March :mad::mad::mad:

But anyway, back on topic: soccer, beer, ladies

Back