Rasberry Wheat Ale...help!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atchinator

Reaction score
Hi,
I've made a wheat ale with aprox half/half pale malt grains and wheat (and small amounts of other malts). I've made the same recipe before and infused some pineapple juice and it turned out reasonable well.

This time, after 2 days in my primary fermenter, I add about 3.5 pounds of rasberries (to 5.5 gallons). I'd mashed up the berries to get them juicy but I added them all in, seeds and pulp, etc. I left them in for 5 days and then racked it all to my secondary leaving behind the pulp and sediment.
The secondary burbed and boiled infrequently for about a day and then nothing.
I can't remember the WYeast that I used - it was one of the more common Wheatbeer yeasts

Taking a reading, it looks like everything has been fermented and the alcohol level is about right but the taste of the brew has an "earthy" taste to it which I think might be attributed to the tannens in the seeds of the berries.

My questions are: Should I have just juiced the berries and left out the pulp? Should I have waited a little longer and added the berries (or juice) to the secondary? Any other advice with infusing fruit to wheat ales?

Were the berries fresh or frozen? I have been told that frozen berries would be the way to go. Freezing causes the cells to rupture and the juices to be easily extracted when adding to the beer.

I just bottled my Raspberry Sauerweizen yesterday and we used 3.5lbs of raspberry as well. They were just added frozen from the bag with no extra attention paid. The flavor was very nice, natural but no earthiness.

Back