Praise and a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch, I took a sample and it tasted great. I wanted to thank everyone one on here for helping me with the questions ive has so far and say that ive got the bug, this is a great hobby.

Now for my question. My next beer is going to be an American Hefe and I want to secondary it. How long is long enough in the secondary? I was thinking around 3-4 weeks but i don't want to have it in there too long. Also, will I be losing a lot of the cloudiness if i secondary? I like my Wheat beers cloudy.

Cheers.

Congrats on your first batch!! :mug:
I would recommend only a week maybe 2 in the secondary or your beer will start to clear up too much. If you bottle condition though just swirl the yeast in the bottom of the bottle into the beer while pouring and it will cloud right back up! In my opinion Hefe's and Wheat beers taste good while pretty young.

Why do you want to secondary? I rarely secondary even my really big beers and would never do so on a hefe. It'll still be cloudy if you do, but wouldn't think as much so as if you went straight into the keg (or bottle).

No reason to secondary a hefe. They are one of the few styles that can be brewed in a shorter amount of time and without concerns for clearing. I'd say embrace that fact and be glad you don't have to fuss around with a secondary or added time before it's primed and ready to drink!

I put my Hefe in a secondary only out of habit. 2 weeks primary 1 week secondary. Don't worry about it clearing - it never will - that is yeast floating around and not protein

so, would it be alright in the primary for about a month? the reason I ask is I am brewing it and then im going out of town after the 2nd week, ill be back at the end of the 3rd week and would bottle at the end of the 4th week.

Back