Big A$$ed Brew Out in New Jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite pissed I missed out. SWMBO's sister went into labor on Friday and gave birth early Saturday morning. So yeah, my weekend was spent inside the hospital :mad:

Bobby_M said:
Hmm, I could see if it was your SWMBO who went into labor but a future sister in law? Pspphht! ;-)

That's what I'm sayin :mug:

No but seriously, I want to go AG once I get that 7.5'er from you. I'd like to check out your next brew session since I've never brewed AG...

If we can get a few guys together, I have no problem running an all grain batch in a more relaxed environment, my house or where ever. A big brew like this is kinda hard to learn from in anything but small tidbits.

Oh, here's a little blog entry with pics taken during the event. I'll probably update it once ollllo gets me some of the pics he took:

http://www.suebob.com/brew/brewevents.htm

Bobby_M said:
If we can get a few guys together, I have no problem running an all grain batch in a more relaxed environment, my house or where ever. A big brew like this is kinda hard to learn from in anything but small tidbits.

Oh, here's a little blog entry with pics taken during the event. I'll probably update it once ollllo gets me some of the pics he took:

http://www.suebob.com/brew/brewevents.htm

Sounds good. I bought an extract kit this past weekend. It was marked up 10% because of the hops shortage. AG just makes sense in the long run. Cheaper and most likely better brew.

njnear76 said:
Sounds good. I bought an extract kit this past weekend. It was marked up 10% because of the hops shortage. AG just makes sense in the long run. Cheaper and most likely better brew.

So that makes 2 of us interested in some AG tutorial?

It's on whenever you guys can all agree to get together on the same day. Your place or mine, your equipment or mine, your recipe/ingredients or mine. Either way. I'm available most weekend days. I've been looking forward to doing another blonde ale which would be super cheap and easy. If any of you guys have an extra propane burner/tank we could run two 10 gallon batches side by side and split it 4 ways at the end. Maybe BM's Centenial blonde recipe?

Bobby_M said:
It's on whenever you guys can all agree to get together on the same day. Your place or mine, your equipment or mine, your recipe/ingredients or mine. Either way. I'm available most weekend days. I've been looking forward to doing another blonde ale which would be super cheap and easy. If any of you guys have an extra propane burner/tank we could run two 10 gallon batches side by side and split it 4 ways at the end. Maybe BM's Centenial blonde recipe?

I'm pretty open on the day/time. I'd really like to split one of the 10 gallon batches with someone. I can provide ingredients, propane, one Banjo burner, 5 gallon MLT, and bottled water. I'd prefer to brew something malty and/or darker. Just lemme know :mug:

edit - my place won't work since its a townhouse complex

edit x 2 - if we only have one MLT, we can brew parti-gyle

We can brew in my garage. I'm centrally located to everyone anyway. I've got the 12 gallon MLT so that's not a problem. We can do a staggered mash/boil so that the second batch is mashing while the first is boiling. That's why I was thinking of having the second burner. Partigyle? It would work but not necessarily a good example of what a new AG brewer would try pulling off. Malty and dark, um, maybe an Irish red, 80 shilling, ESB, or barley wine. See, I wouldn't mind doing a single 8 gallon barley wine and split it 2 gallons each, but it's an A-typical process and takes 12 months of aging. Also not a beginner's bag.

Bobby_M said:
We can brew in my garage. I'm centrally located to everyone anyway. I've got the 12 gallon MLT so that's not a problem. We can do a staggered mash/boil so that the second batch is mashing while the first is boiling. That's why I was thinking of having the second burner. Partigyle? It would work but not necessarily a good example of what a new AG brewer would try pulling off. Malty and dark, um, maybe an Irish red, 80 shilling, ESB, or barley wine. See, I wouldn't mind doing a single 8 gallon barley wine and split it 2 gallons each, but it's an A-typical process and takes 12 months of aging. Also not a beginner's bag.

Yeah the partigyle and bigger beers are probably bad for this occasion. I've got 30+ pounds Maris Otter and I'm not sure what hops I have but I should have like 4-6 ounces. Do you still have that Vienna? An ESB could be a nice option...

I've got plenty of Vienna left. Only used 15lbs on a Vienna Lager on Saturday. It's also lager season so I'd be open to doing a pils or american premium lager, Sam BL clone, whatever. I guess let's see what styles the other guys like and we'll compromise. I don't necessarily need a share if it's something I don't like.

Bobby_M said:
I've got plenty of Vienna left. Only used 15lbs on a Vienna Lager on Saturday. It's also lager season so I'd be open to doing a pils or american premium lager, Sam BL clone, whatever. I guess let's see what styles the other guys like and we'll compromise. I don't necessarily need a share if it's something I don't like.

I can't lager but if that's what people want, I'll just go along with the grain bill. I can't imagine a solid grain bill tasting bad with any yeast...

Brewout at full boil

1989079550_73204d78d8.jpg

The heat/stress failure point was discovered early in the brewday. The ladder cannot support and heat 2 keggles.
1989050868_1bccdee235.jpg

Music editor: add Transformers Music.
Caption: Never underestimate the resiliancy and ingenuity of a homebrewer.

1988251817_f8c14ff6a6.jpg

It's On!

1989075918_260c3c5334.jpg

Must be some taiwanese aluminum in that damn ladder that I garbage picked. What do you mean it can't hold up to 130,000 btu's of direct fire AND hold up two kegs full of water. That's BS.

Bobby. I didn't want to mention that the aluminum offgassed a GBH like substance and most of us went into a coma for most of the afternoon.

I knew that. That's when I went around looting everyone's brewing supplies. However, you'll note that I wasn't able to steal Jody's incredible high temp keggle insulation jackets. He got them from work for free.... that'd be $250 each keg for mere mortals like us.

I would be open to brewing anything. As long as it's beer, I'm happy.

I would prefer something that wouldn't take forever to age though. I want to go to all-grain sometime next year and I need to convince my brother-in-law in order to do it.

Condo living sucks. I can't wait until we move so I can indulge more into this hobby. My brother-in-law is a cool guy, but it does stink brewing around his schedule.

Lets set something up. I believe I'm free the following days, but I need to check with SWMBO.

Saturday Nov 17th
Sunday Nov 18th
Saturday November 24th
Sunday November 25th

Back