Stupid All Grain :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just kidding...I actually enjoy all grain brewing very much. I just did my third all grain on Sunday, and things seemed to go okay. I tried to do a mash out, which didnt go well, and ended up collecting more wort than I wanted, but the only harm in that is having to do a longer boil...no biggie really. However, when all was said and done my OG came out to 1.036. D'oh!! I guess after temp correction it is more like 1.038 or 1.039, but I was shooting for around 1.048. Efficiency was under 60%. Having trouble getting the hang of it as my first two brews I was way over my planned OG (had a wheat with a 1.068 OG) as I was way over my expected efficiency...so this batch, I backed the grain off a bit and then had way low efficiency lol. Oh well, I will still end up high 3's maybe low 4's alcohol and it will probably be too dry for the style (a wit), but who cares? It will probably be one of the best wits I've had, and it was fun anyway.

Lol, crazy man. Well you'll get it nailed sooner or later. Some recipes for me seem to just clock in the efficiency (gravity) spot on each time, and others at times are off. As long as they aren't too far off that you'd have to make hops corrections take it in stride. :D

Yeah weak beers really are annoying. When I buy canned beers its nearly always the 8% stuff. Not that I am an alcoholic, I just like the strong stuff! Im not sure what the strength of the stuff I make currently is, but I swear the stuff that came out of the bottle this morning tasted almost identical to a Czech bud.

I rarely go for 8%. I typically stay in the 5-6 range. I am not really all that upset about. It will probably end up with as much alcohol as a Natty light and lord knows I spent plenty a night drunk on that filth. Besides, as long as it tastes good, and has some alcohol, I will call it a success.

cubbies said:
I rarely go for 8%. I typically stay in the 5-6 range. I am not really all that upset about.

The majority of my beers tend to be between 1.045 and 1.055 OG. It is just where I (and many others) feel comfortable brewing.

zoebisch01 said:
The majority of my beers tend to be between 1.045 and 1.055 OG. It is just where I (and many others) feel comfortable brewing.
Plus after 4-5 pints of an 8% brew in an evening many of us would be under the table!

Latest posts

Back