Chili Mango (or just mango) soda recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made this recipe because I had an overripe mango sitting around the house. When I was a kid, we used to eat these mango lollipops that had chili pepper on the outside. I thought that the same concept could be used in a soda recipe! It turned out delicious :)

*this recipe is for 2 litres of soda.

Ingredients:
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
  • ¾ cup of sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon Champaign yeast
  • ½ to 1 mango (very ripe), pureed
  • One empty 2-litre soda bottle (you can also use three 20 oz. soda bottles, but make sure to scale the sugar back a tad)

Process:
  • Boil 1 ½ cups of water and then add sugar. Boil for 15 minutes then cool to ~100* F.
  • As the sugar water is cooling, slice and puree the mango. If necessary, add a little water to thin out the puree. Add the mango puree to the bottle(s).
  • Once the sugar water has cooled to around 100*F, decant it into large glass jug or bottle, and the add lemon juice and chili flakes. Aerate the mixture well by shaking it vigorously. Add yeast and then aerate again.
  • Once the yeast is dissolved, let the mixture cool to room temperature, and then add to bottle(s).
  • Store for 24-48 hours at room temperature. You will know the soda is ready when the bottle is very hard. Do not allow the soda to sit at room temperature for more than 48 hours, or they could explode! Once the soda bottles are hard, refrigerate them immediately.
  • As soon as the soda is nice and cold (~45*F), its ready to enjoy (and delicious to boot)!

Hello there! This sounds delicious, i am going to give it a try, im wondering however,i have been looking into various forms of making naturally fermenting soda, but all of them run the risk of exploding after bottling, i want to make something i can sell at my taco stand on the weekend market, is there anyway to halt the fermenting process?

MumboJumboJunior said:
Hello there! This sounds delicious, i am going to give it a try, im wondering however,i have been looking into various forms of making naturally fermenting soda, but all of them run the risk of exploding after bottling, i want to make something i can sell at my taco stand on the weekend market, is there anyway to halt the fermenting process?

Hi there! You know, I was really trying to figure that out myself as well, however it seems that the only way to do that is through force carbonation. Using the natural carbonation method, there is simply too much sugar in the soda and the bottles will explode :( Sorry that I can't give you a better answer. BUT, I really hope you enjoy my recipe! Lemme know what you think, and if you make any improvements!

Sounds awesome. As for serving in a taco stand type set up. There are small I wanna say 2 gallon corny kegs that you can buy. Just cold crash the soda and force carb that in the corny. I would think the two gallon set up would work well if you don't have a ton of space.

Back