Adding Zest to Seconday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Ok so i zested one large tangerine into my Agave Wheat which is currently in my secondary. I pretested some zest in a pint of water and almost all of it eventually went to the bottom. My question is, beer thinker than water, does zest still sink.. if not how to strain/remove when sending to keg

Much of it goes to the bottom with a bit floating on top. You can agitate the carboy a bit to get some of them to fall. Also let the carboy rest a bit before siphoning to the keg if you're moving your carboy before doing it. I've found that the first few pours may have some zest but the rest of it is fine.

You could try a hop bag and fill with zest and maybe some sanitzed marbles then tie with some fishing line(sanitized) and suspend in the beer!

May need about 20-25% more zest since the bag does not allow the zest to circulate!

Just an idea!!

+1 to KevinW. I add zest, fruit, spices, hops, etc. during secondary in a hops bag weighted with sterilized marbles.

Back