Water Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr0cess

Reaction score
At work we have an unused water cooler that is getting ready to be thrown out. Last time it was plugged it the cooling option worked but the heater didn't so away it goes. It is a stereotypical water cooler like you would expect to see in an office, a tall box with a jug on top.

I was just thinking about something that may be completely stupid but humor me. The cooler is designed to accept a 5 gallon bottle of water could I take my 5 gallon glass secondary, gently mix in some priming sugar and upend the whole thing into the cooler? I imagine I would need to cover the carb with something to preven skunking, but it might work.

The seal woldn't be able to handle high pressure, but I think it would be 'gently carbonated' or something, maybe a stout or something that doesn't always need a great head.

I dunno I was just looking at it and thinking about drinking because I'm at work.

-dylan.

Bad idea considering those glass carboys aren't designed to hold pressure. If you're going to take it, why not take it apart and do something with that cooling unit?

Bad idea considering those glass carboys aren't designed to hold pressure. If you're going to take it, why not take it apart and do something with that cooling unit?

+1. I'd also have major sanitation concerns about running my beer through that thing.

Putting beer in one of those isn't a good idea, they (the bottles) are purged with air. Before long, you'll have oxidized beer.

+1 on doing somethng with the cooling unit though!!

BUMP and Hi-Jack. I've got a office water cooler as well that's coming home with me today. This one stores the 5 gal. bottle under the unit, then pumps air into the bottle to push water into the holding tanks (It's a Primo brand). The colling side is not working right, but the heater is.
1. What is the simplest reason that the cooling side would quit working? The coils on the back of the unit don't get warm.
2. Any ideas for the parts?

BUMP and Hi-Jack. I've got a office water cooler as well that's coming home with me today. This one stores the 5 gal. bottle under the unit, then pumps air into the bottle to push water into the holding tanks (It's a Primo brand). The colling side is not working right, but the heater is.
1. What is the simplest reason that the cooling side would quit working? The coils on the back of the unit don't get warm.
2. Any ideas for the parts?

Sounds like an easy way to heat sparge water?

Back