Next steps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtalk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing for about a year and am looking to invest $500-$600 in some new equipment. I've brewed 8 all-grain batches with a 10 gallon cooler mash tun, 10 gallon aluminum brew pot (no spigot), copper immersion chiller, and an outdoor propane burner. I have been bottling and don't really mind the process.

What should I consider? I don't really mind bottling and am considering an upgraded brew pot in terms of volume and bells and whistles. Or should I consider a kegging set up? Are the BoilMakers worth the cost? I also have the option of going electric in the basement but not sure if I am ready for that.

Thanks all in advance for your suggestions.

Cheers!

The first thing that comes to mind is a stir plate, assuming you don't already have one. But you could easily make a DIY one for cheap.

I'm in a similar spot right now, and even though I (like yourself) don't mind bottling, I think my next step is going to be a kegging setup. If anything, for the coolness factor. I'll probably end up still bottling some of my batches, regardless.

Another suggestion people might offer is fermentation temperature control. Summer is a'comin'... Not sure what your house is like during the summer, but it's a thought.

I second the fermentation control. Get yourself a chest freezer and a temp controller. Also buy or make yourself a stir plate and get some Erlenmeyer flasks you can easily make staters in (with those flasks got can heat and cool easily.

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding. I failed to mention that I have a full-size fridge in my brew space that fits a 6.5 gallon carboy. I haven't used it but am hoping to lager this summer. I am considering a 20 gallon BoilMaker with the possibility of transitioning to electric brewing. Lots of research needed before I buy anything.

Back