best northern brewer ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
can't make up my mind witch ipa to try first, i like the real strong high hop flavor, anyone have a favorite ? thinking the dead ringer or the chinook

I have done the Chinook twice and really like it. It is citrisy and very easy to drink. Have not done the two hearted clone but have heard nothing but great things about it. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

Got their Black IPA kegged up right now and love it! Great hop profile. Almost reminds me of a real light bodied Imperial Stout if that makes any sense. next up Sinistral Warrior, I've read that it isn't hoppy enough for most ppl so I might tweak it a bit.

I did the Chinook and I have dead ringer in the secondary now. If you love hops the Chinook is VERY hoppy. it was a little bit too much for me, but I'm not a huge hop fan.

sinistral warrior ... i've brewed it twice...i love it, my friends love it, and my father-in-law loves it. I'd say it's hoppy enough. I'm looking to do their black ipa for my next ipa.

I have done the dead ringer and sinistral warrior. The sinistral warrior is wonderful. Citrusy and drinks like a lower gravity beer. Add dry hops to the recipe for sure.

Have the Chinook dry hopped in secondary right now. It's my second beer ever and super excited to bottle and taste in about 3 weeks! Smells great out of the airlock!

Got to love smelling the air lock, my wife saw me doing that the other day, she thought I was crazy

Looking forward to brewing my first kit from northern brewer. I have a few bottles left of my hop head double ipa from Midwest, I will not share lol

A bit off topic here though but I did notice that I dry hopped right after I racked to secondary. I see on most recipes that it says to let beer settle for a week or two before dry hopping in secondary, but just wondering what effects it will have. Would you recommend bottling after two or let it sit for 3-4?

You can do it a zillion different (hotly contested by internet beer nerd ) ways. When using a secondary, in my opinion and experience, it is best to transfer and then wait until you are 4-5 days out from bottling/kegging before dry hopping. This way you get the freshest aroma and none of the "grassy" flavors some people associate with extended dry hopping.
So, if you secondary for a month wait until the end to dry hop, but if you only secondary a few days then go ahead and throw the hops in. Still, read around on the forum as I'm sure there is considerable discussion on this sort of thing. Luck.

i've been a big fan of the northernbrewer IPAs.. here's my ranking

1. Dear Ringer IPA is my favorite, although i'm worried it will make me an alcoholic because it tastes awesome and the ABV is around 7%. The great taste mean I can't stop at one. And the high ABV results in me texting my friends and telling them i love them at odd hours in the night.
2. Chinook IPA, my second favorite.. very tasty
3. Sinistral Warrior also super tasty, but lacked the malty backbone.
4. Tongue Spliter - Good.. but the super hoppy flavor started turning off some of my regular drinking buddies.
5. Jamil's evil Twin, not an IPA but pretty complex. I would even say two complex for most people.

Don't sleep on the Sierra Madre Pale Ale. This is the perfect balance for me. I know it's not technically an IPA, but it has a lot of hops character and can be dry hopped for more kick. I now just by the ingredients in bulk and make it based on the kit recipe. Real easy and man is it good!

Back