Fermenting outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
Yes I have done it again! I have a 1 week old batch that I decided to keep in the cooler and last night I brewed another batch. Instead of letting either one of the batches (first one was 1 week old, second was 0 day) sit at room temp I decided to put the new batch outside on my balcony. Last night when I finished brewing it the temp of the wort was 76F at pitching. I put the bad boy outside and within 30 mins I dropped to 72F and probably stayed a little cooler overnight (maybe 69F). Right now is 11:30am and according to the weather.com its 70F outside and the fermentor is at 73F and there is an inch of krausen and my fancy 3 piece airlock is dancing away. It's the first time I am using it and will probably make all the neighbors jealous :) According to the forecast the new few days will be fairly cool with the highest of 74F and lowest of 62F at night so I think this will be au naturale batch.

No I'm not!!!

I believe that for the next few days the temperature will stay mostly withing 68-72 range and wort should be within +4 range of it. Right now its 72 outside and fermentor is at 75.8. This is the peak temperature of the day for the balcony as well as for the current peak of active fermentation (almost 24 hours for the wort and 36+ hours for the very healthy starter). After 5pm the temperature outside will drop by 1 degree every hour, by 10pm it will be 66F outside which would roughly translate to 69-70F fermentor. 1-6am will be 63F outside which will be 66-67F for fermentor for a few hours. All the temperature changes will be natural and very gradual and withing 62-75 recommended by Wyeast. I am in the process of bottling 3711 French Saison strain today and will brew a batch of it next week. I think I might run it outside on the balcony as well.

NYC weather lets me utilize my balcony to the full potential. :x

Back