Help with this hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
So for an IPA, I have 1oz. Galena, 1oz. Mt. Hood, and 2oz. Ahtanum, all pellets.

I was planning on doing the Galena for 90 minutes (the mash is pils-based), Mt. Hood for around 20-30, Ahtanum at 10 and flameout, then maybe picking up an ounce or two of some whole hops for a dry hop in secondary, but I'm not wild about this combo. I subbed Mt. Hood for Horizon since my LHBS doesn't have it, and I'm afraid of it not matching up with the Ahtanum well. It was suggested that I FWH the Horizon, but I'm not sure if FWHing the Mt Hood will yield similar results.

Any suggestions for this schedule? I would like to keep the bitterness toned down and make it more of an aromatic-hoppy IPA and let some of the malt come through.

If you want to keep the bitter down and get more hop flavor and aroma consider;

1. Move 1st addition to 60 min.
2. 2nd addition 30 min.
3. 3rd addition to 5 min. or even flame out
4. Dry hop

Eastside

I thought I needed to do a 90 minute boil on a pils-based mash? I suppose I don't have to add the Galena at 60.

I've been reading Mt. Hood is more recommended for a late-addition than a 30 minute hop. Should I switch a couple around?

yes keep boil at 90 min. just don't add 1st hop until 60 min.

maybe Galena at 60 Ahtanum at 30 and Mt hood at 5 and then dry hop with either Ahtanum or Mt Hood?? These are arieties that I'm not that familiar with but looking soley at the AA's that should be a solid schedule.

Eastside

Back