Fermentation stepped 7 days in..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So- 7 days in and fermentation on the Fat Tire Clone and the Oatmeal stout has stopped.

Time for a Gravity Reading? Can I just take the airlock out and put the siphon hose in to get enough for a FG sample?

They're probably finished, but I would give it at least a few more days to let the yeast clean up after themselves. You certainly could check the gravity if you like...are you planning to rack to secondary or leave it in primary for a while? There's not really much point in taking a gravity reading unless you're going to do something with it and want to be sure it's ready.

Well, I plan on letting it sit in primary for about 2 more weeks to settle and mature a bit... as opposed to going to secondary to just sit- I think it'll serve the same purpose. Plus I don't have secondary containers yet so... it works out.

I'm just anxious to see what the FG ended up at, and Im assuming since its done fermenting, the FG isn't going to change anymore from here on in.

You can take a hydrometer at any time. If you thinks it done, take a reading for information purposes. It won't hurt your beer. Since you are being good and letting it sit for a couple weeks, it will give you something to do while you wait.

I've never used a siphon for samples since I've always had a wine thief but I understand a sanitized turkey baster works really well for grabbing samples.

That works, but I'd rather not open the primary bucket all the way... that sucker is on there pretty tight and Id rather not disturb the seal... I *think* I could fit the siphon hose in the airlock hole to snatch a sample...

Wish I had a secondary... then i could get started on some new primarys!

That works, but I'd rather not open the primary bucket all the way... that sucker is on there pretty tight and Id rather not disturb the seal... I *think* I could fit the siphon hose in the airlock hole to snatch a sample...

Wish I had a secondary... then i could get started on some new primarys!

Why do that. Just start another brew in a new bucket. I never use secondary's for ales. There is no difference in the outcome.

Honestly, you can't decree that ferementation has stopper UNTIL you take a gravity reading..Your airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge...it is a pressure relief valve...Get outta the habit of using it as anything else...Half my beers never have a bubble in the airlock...If you go by airlock bubbling someday you are going to think you have a stuck ferementation when in reality you just never had enough CO2 to need venting...

You shouldn't NEED to ask advice about using a hydrometer...It should be the first thing you grab when you have any questions about your beer....It is the ONLY true gauge of fermentation activity. A cheap 2 dollar piece of chinese plastic shoved into a rubber grommet isn't.

Read this..http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Honestly, you can't decree that ferementation has stopper UNTIL you take a gravity reading..Your airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge...it is a pressure relief valve...Get outta the habit of using it as anything else...Half my beers never have a bubble in the airlock...If you go by airlock bubbling someday you are going to think you have a stuck ferementation when in reality you just never had enough CO2 to need venting...

You shouldn't NEED to ask advice about using a hydrometer...It should be the first thing you grab when you have any questions about your beer....It is the ONLY true gauge of fermentation activity. A cheap 2 dollar piece of chinese plastic shoved into a rubber grommet isn't.

Read this..http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

I bet Revvy has posted this same reply 1,287 times.

I bet Revvy has posted this same reply 1,287 times.

Wow, if you can break down my postcount THAT accurately, can you figure out what my first post EVER on here was? I thought it was in the Paris Hilton Panty thread...but I'm not sure. :D

Actually I think it's more like 3,468 myself...

It's just one of those bad brewing practices I wish we could excise from all the brewing books...it may have been a good gauge back 20 or more years ago when (When Charlie P wrote the bible of brewing, and bleach was the main sanitizer) and the main airlock used was the infallible S type, and especially those made of glass that sat heavily on the grommet or carboy bung and made a tight seal..but the cheap ass plastic ones, especially the 3 piecers are NOT reliable for that sort of thing...If the CO2 out gassing is not that strong, it's NOT gonna lift the middle bubbler, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean the fermentation isn't happening, the yeasties could be just as busy as bees and for whatever reason the CO2 is just sitting on the surface, or sneaking out elsewhere....PLUS new brewers who are SO scared of infecting their beer are more willing to dump yeast into a beer than they are to take a hydro reading to know for sure...

I agree. Just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks.

I don't even take gravity readings during that time. I only take FG readings after four weeks when I'm kegging. It's done.

Wow, if you can break down my postcount THAT accurately, can you figure out what my first post EVER on here was? I thought it was in the Paris Hilton Panty thread...but I'm not sure. :D

Actually I think it's more like 3,468 myself...

It's just one of those bad brewing practices I wish we could excise from all the brewing books...it may have been a good gauge back 20 or more years ago when (When Charlie P wrote the bible of brewing, and bleach was the main sanitizer) and the main airlock used was the infallible S type, and especially those made of glass that sat heavily on the grommet or carboy bung and made a tight seal..but the cheap ass plastic ones, especially the 3 piecers are NOT reliable for that sort of thing...If the CO2 out gassing is not that strong, it's NOT gonna lift the middle bubbler, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean the fermentation isn't happening, the yeasties could be just as busy as bees and for whatever reason the CO2 is just sitting on the surface, or sneaking out elsewhere....PLUS new brewers who are SO scared of infecting their beer are more willing to dump yeast into a beer than they are to take a hydro reading to know for sure...

You rock Revvy... great advice I'll definitely take. I guess sometimes I need the obvious drawn out for me to smack me in the face with things I already really know.

Me no trust no plastic nomore. Primary for another 2-3 weeks. I guess I can kill time by picking up a Better Bottle for future use, and use it as a primary for some applefein or whatever it is seems to be a big hit around HBT.

You rock Revvy... great advice I'll definitely take. I guess sometimes I need the obvious drawn out for me to smack me in the face with things I already really know.

Me no trust no plastic nomore. Primary for another 2-3 weeks. I guess I can kill time by picking up a Better Bottle for future use, and use it as a primary for some applefein or whatever it is seems to be a big hit around HBT.

There is some bizaare tendency for new brewers to avoid the hydrometer like it's a snake or something. They will do all sorts of things becasue they think the airlock is some precision instrument, repitch, bottle too soon, add beno, whatever long BEFORE the think to grab the one true precision instrument there is.

I leave all my beers in PLASTIC primaries for a month no problems....Ale pails and Betterbottles ar fine for long primary usage. WHen you drop your glass carboy, loose a batch of beer and come this close to loosing a lot of blood, you'll get over any superstitious lack of faith in plastic you may harbor.
There's some good articles on the subject- http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/nomoreglass.html

http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/brokencarboys.html

Back