Thames Valley or East Yorkshire ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I will be making an order through my LHBS in a week or so. So far, I've only been using dry yeast, namely S-04 and S-33 for a lot of my beers. S-04 has been especially good for me, dropping clear and having a good malt/ester profile, but I want something that will attenuate a bit more for stouts/porters while having a different taste profile, for a change. S-04 attenuates well, but it isn't quite dry enough...

I was thinking about Thames Valley yeast, but I've read that it is a ***** to get to clear. Since many of the styles I'm looking to brew (I have two milds and a standard bitter on deck) need a somewhat fast turn around, would I be better waiting and getting the Special Reserve West Yorkshire ? It seems to be recommended for bitters, milds and real ale types. Comments also said it had an ester profile to die for..

I would get both, but I don't want to have two smack packs in the fridge because I want to force myself to wash the damn yeast ;)

I've used Thames a few times and haven't noticed that it is difficult to clear. Let it sit for about a month or so and mine all cleared just fine. I haven't used the other strain, but I would give that a try.

Milds peak sooner than a month in due to their very low gravities and I carb in bottles, that's why I want high flocculation, so I can have a quick turn around. But if a month if enough to clear Thames Valley in an ordinary gravity beer, I don't see the problem with using it, especially since I want ot use it for stouts where S-04 doesn't attenuate quite enough.

Thanks for you input !

You are correct in saying that milds peak sooner. That's just about how long I leave all my average strength brews sit, and by that time, they are clear. Yeah, I've had good luck with Thames.

Good luck!

Back