Priming Sugar Mistake When Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
I just recently completed my first home brew. It's a nut brown ale that I had in the primary for 2 weeks, the secondary for 1 week, and in the bottle for 3 weeks now.

I messed up when bottling my beer and measured out 3/4 cup of sugar using a kitchen measuring cup instead of putting 2 and 2 together and using the entire 5 oz supply I recieved from midwest supplies. Looking at what was left in the bag it looks like I used only about 2oz of it.

The beer carbed up and tastes great it's just not as carbed as I would like it to be. My question is can I take off the caps and add one of the Cooper's drops to each bottle, recap them, and give them a couple more weeks? Or will this over carb it and mess everything up?

I know everyone on the forum hates when the same questioned gets asked over and over but I couldnt find the answer to this anywhere else on the forum. Any advice will help.

I'd leave it, but keep it at room temperature for another couple of weeks to give it some more time.

If you pop the caps, you'll remove any carbonation you've already got. If they were totally, completely flat you might have to do something. But if they're just a little undercarbed, I'd live with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just put them in my bedroom closet and forget about them for awhile and let nature run its course.

Back