Float ball for sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorgiBrew

Reaction score
I'm thinking it would be useful to have a little red float ball in my sight glass to amke it easier to see the water level (like the one I have in my coffee maker). Anyone have any good ideas as to what to use for said ball? (not involving sacrifice of my coffee maker, that is).

How about breaking apart a childrens rattle and using one of those little balls? It's prbably not dissimilar to what is found in coffee maker float. Might be super cheap (free) if you have a kid in the house. And to prevent it from falling into the wort, you use a fine mesh screen between the polycarbonate tube and elbow.

axr

How about breaking apart a childrens rattle and using one of those little balls? It's prbably not dissimilar to what is found in coffee maker float. Might be super cheap (free) if you have a kid in the house. And to prevent it from falling into the wort, you use a fine mesh screen between the polycarbonate tube and elbow.axr

Yes, I would definitely steal toys from babies to make my sightglass blingier! :D

Airsoft BB.

They float, and they come in many colors.

Bad things: don't know if they are food grade, and you will have to buy about 1,000 of them. At least you will have spares.

Airsoft BB.

They float, and they come in many colors.

Bad things: don't know if they are food grade, and you will have to buy about 1,000 of them. At least you will have spares.

Excellent idea. I can use the extras to plink the cat! I doubt they're food grade, but it's not like I'm going to be putting a handful in my mouth.

corkies,, fake salmon eggs ,, they come in both foam and plastic check a fishing store.. a couple cents a piece you can buy 1

Excellent idea. I can use the extras to plink the cat! I doubt they're food grade, but it's not like I'm going to be putting a handful in my mouth.

Airsoft BB's are labelled non-toxic so no worries there.

But they are also biodegradeable so, maybe it'll be good they come in a package of 1000.

I thought about this once and was eyeing some hollow aluminum balls at McMaster. I guess I don't know for sure but I figured they would float.

Always forgot to add one onto my order though.

You could use something cylindrical. I don't know what, but if whatever you use is 3/4" long or more, you wouldn't have to worry about it making it through the elbow and into the kettle.

Back