Octoberfest partial mash critique..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
Based on what my LHBS had on hand this is the recipe i came up with. It is a partial mash, 6 gallon total volume, 3 gallon boil.

6.5 lbs LME (add most at end of boil)
4 lbs Munich (mash @152, 60 min)
1 lb Caramunich (steep)

1oz. Saaz (5.8%, 60 minutes)
1oz. spalt (2%, 60 min.)
1/2oz spalt (2%, 30 min)
1/2 oz spalt (2%, 5 min)

wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast

o.g 1.057
f.g 1.013

IBU- 14
SRM- 21

Let me know what you think!

Be careful with the late additions with your hops. Octoberfest's need to be malty, carmely but not hoppy. I would lose the last two additions and just use the 1 oz of spalt at 30 minutes. Just my suggestion. I currently am getting ready to bottle my octoberfest ale (receipe complements of EdWort) and I used the Kolsch yeast too. I threw mine on a cake from my kolsch.

according to style, the appropriate IBU for and octoberfest should be in the 20's where my recipe is low, should i just add the full ounce of spalt at 30 min. to up the IBU's and leave off the aroma addition? The only reason i have this many hop additions is because of the low IBU in the spalt.

Good point, yeah add it at 30. Even the 2 oz. Check the IBU and you should be close then. Just tinker with it until you get it where you want it. Err on the longer boil side to prevent hop aroma and you should be good.

Back