rookie brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brewing Irish Stout (5 gallons) and added and extra pound of malt extract to the wort (I want extra alcohol in my brew). When transferring from primary to secondary there seemed to be an unusually large amount of sediment at the bottom. I mean it looked like a large batch of malt-o-meal!!! Have I done something wrong or is this on account of the extra malt extract that I added?

Usually this is due to the type of yeast. There is nothing wrong with a big yeast layer on he bottom. What yeast did you use..Nottingham's by chance?

I bought recipe kit from local home brewery and used whatever dry yeast came with it. I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff but I am just starting out...with home brewing not drinking beer.

Yup that's perfectly normal. The yeast eats the sugars and multiplies and by the time you're done you have a ton of yeast left at the bottom.

Back