Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this a month ago with a friend. I bottled mine last week, he racked his to secondary. I saw his last night, and it is still very cloudy. Is that unusual after a month? Seems like most of the posts here say that at least the finished product is clear.

dave8274 said:
Brewed this a month ago with a friend. I bottled mine last week, he racked his to secondary. I saw his last night, and it is still very cloudy. Is that unusual after a month? Seems like most of the posts here say that at least the finished product is clear.

Can depend on a few things, all grain or extract? What yeast did you use? How long ago did he rack his?

Overall in my experience when I bottle, my beer is very clear after carbing and then 2-4 weeks in the fridge. There aren't any adjuncts in this that would normally make a beer cloudy so it should be pretty clear.

Can depend on a few things, all grain or extract? What yeast did you use? How long ago did he rack his?

Overall in my experience when I bottle, my beer is very clear after carbing and then 2-4 weeks in the fridge. There aren't any adjuncts in this that would normally make a beer cloudy so it should be pretty clear.

We did all grain, exactly as the recipe said with S-04. He racked his a week ago, after 3 weeks in primary, the same day I bottled mine. My bottles are also cloudy, but after a week in bottles that's to be expected.

Biab? calcium level? boil kettle ph? FG?, cooling method, sediment stirred up when racking. These are suspects for cloudy beer.

BM, I brewed this bout 7 weeks ago, although I did change your recipe just bit as my mill efficiency is high and I wanted to try a different yeast.
Finally week 3 arrived after bottling...so carbing is complete. I drank of glass of this side by side with a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Man...it's close! The SA finished dry and crisp...it is a lager. Your recipe was just a bit sweeter(I mashed at 154*) while the hops are there then gone as quick as you notice them.
Excellent recipe BM....well done.:rockin:

I brewed this on 9/23, checked it last night and it's already at 1.015 and looked like it was still active. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch with a 2 L starter and have kept it in the mid 60's for first 3 days then let rise up to 72. Tasted GREAT, very bready and malty just a good Oktoberfest should! I will take another reading on Friday or Saturday and keg it, and let it chill/carb until our Oktoberfest party on 10/25! Also bringing a keg of Kolsch and a keg of Dunkelwiezen. Here's the recipe I used:

Brewing Steps: OktoberFAST Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 09/23/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brutus 10 - 5 Gallon batch
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Mash Ingredients
4 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Aromatic Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
OG: 1.052

Was weird I bought 2 packs of Tettnang and one was 4.6% alpha and the other 6.1 so I adjusted.

Thanks for the great recipe!

I brewed this on 9/23, checked it last night and it's already at 1.015 and looked like it was still active. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch with a 2 L starter and have kept it in the mid 60's for first 3 days then let rise up to 72. Tasted GREAT, very bready and malty just a good Oktoberfest should! I will take another reading on Friday or Saturday and keg it, and let it chill/carb until our Oktoberfest party on 10/25! Also bringing a keg of Kolsch and a keg of Dunkelwiezen. Here's the recipe I used:

Brewing Steps: OktoberFAST Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 09/23/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brutus 10 - 5 Gallon batch
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Mash Ingredients
4 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Aromatic Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
OG: 1.052

Was weird I bought 2 packs of Tettnang and one was 4.6% alpha and the other 6.1 so I adjusted.

Thanks for the great recipe!

Creepy as I am also currently brewing this Octoberfest and have a Dunkelweizen and Kolsch just about ready to keg....

butterpants said:
Creepy as I am also currently brewing this Octoberfest and have a Dunkelweizen and Kolsch just about ready to keg....

Great minds think alike: light, medium and dark, all ales...

Creepy is your name, Butterpants... :)

This is what my batch looks like. No idea why it's so cloudy, I used whirlfloc AND clarity ferm. Tastes better than it looks.

2013-10-10161719.jpg

No, I went 3 weeks in primary and straight to bottle. I do this with all my beers and they all clear in the bottle, other than this one. This is after a few days in the fridge, but the bottles at room temperature are also hazy and opaque.

I don't think it's infected or anything, it tastes pretty good. It may have fermented a little warm, but that's the only thing I can think of.

I like clear beer too depending on the style. This style is more appealing to drink when clear, IMO, especially since it's a lager imitation. I've had beers that are cloudy in the fridge for the first month then clear. They also taste a lot better then. If the cloudiness is partly from suspended yeast it will give the beer a bite that will smooth out over time. How long has it been bottled? If you can wait for a month after bottling I will bet it starts to clear.

I like clear beer too depending on the style. This style is more appealing to drink when clear, IMO, especially since it's a lager imitation. I've had beers that are cloudy in the fridge for the first month then clear. They also taste a lot better then. If the cloudiness is partly from suspended yeast it will give the beer a bite that will smooth out over time. How long has it been bottled? If you can wait for a month after bottling I will bet it starts to clear.

It's been bottled 3 weeks, I as hoping to serve it at our Oktoberfest party next weekend but not feeling good about that.

I have the same problem with this brew not being clear. Mine is in a keg. Its been in the keg for over two months and put on tap 2 weeks ago and still not clear. I used notty yeast, cold chilled it, and even used gelatin. Bottom line is it tastes good so ill have to live with it not being clear.

brewed a partial mash version of this and used Pacman yeast, did 10 days primary at 62 doing two weeks in secondary at 60 then bottling. smells amazing and the beer is crystal clear. OG was 1.053/ FG was 1.010 after a couple days pacman is a beast.

:mug:

Just put 2.5 gal in the swamp cooler. My first AG batch. This smelled better on the boil than any extract I've done. I hit my OG exactly, although with about .5 gal more wort than I had figured. All-in-all I feel real good about it. I cant wait.

Just cracked one. Even young it's pretty damm good. Good color, acceptable clarity, great head, good malty/biscuit/bready aroma once it warms up a little, smooth sweet and malty flavor no hops to be found just some real mild bitterness. No out of style caramel traces.

I made this with a vial of Clarity Ferm to see how 'gluten-free' we could get. A buddy of mine has a violent explosive diarrhea reaction to normally prepared medium to high gluten foods. No response elicited from my brew. Not sure if I'll take the extra step to have it tested simce it's kinda pricy.

Thanks for the recipe!

Just cracked one. Even young it's pretty damm good. Good color, acceptable clarity, great head, good malty/biscuit/bready aroma once it warms up a little, smooth sweet and malty flavor no hops to be found just some real mild bitterness. No out of style caramel traces.

I made this with a vial of Clarity Ferm to see how 'gluten-free' we could get. A buddy of mine has a violent explosive diarrhea reaction to normally prepared medium to high gluten foods. No response elicited from my brew. Not sure if I'll take the extra step to have it tested simce it's kinda pricy.

Thanks for the recipe!

My wife is gluten intolerant, and I've been brewing all my beers with clarity ferm. She's had no issues with them at all.

This was one of the first all grain recipes I have tried and it turned out really well. I ended up with a little bit of haze, but the taste was exactly what I was looking for. It has a nice maltyness to it and is not overly bitter.
Here's a pic of the first pour out of the keg: http://imgur.com/ZImmXCy

I'll definitely be brewing this one again, thanks for the recipe!

Brewed 4 weeks ago, tasted 2 weeks in, bitter not to great. Kegged after 3 weeks, now at 4 weeks it is AWSOME!

This is my best Oktoberfest yet!

Mine is 18 days old and in the keg now aging a bit. Can't wait to try it. I finished at 1.020 with S-04. 158 mash rest, fermented at 64, ramped up to 75 after 2 weeks. Hydrometer samples tasted very promising! I've got a slightly modified Revvy rye in the keezer right now finishing up fermenting. Once that is out I'll stick this on the gas and start chilling it. I'll be glad to get my keezer back! NEVER let your pipeline run dry is all I'm sayin :eek:

WOW BM! This is an EXCELLENT beer. I brewed this on 8/31 and kegged it on 9/17. Let it lager for a month and it is extremely good. Crystal clear (I always fine with gelatin after crashing) with a rich malt flavor up front and a slightly sweet finish. This is going on rotation for sure. The low ABV means I can have a couple of pints without any problems. I took a growler of it to a party this weekend and it went over like gangbusters. Thanks for yet another great recipe! :mug:

I will be bringing mine along with a batch or JZ Fruh (kolsch) and a dunkelweizen (loose erdinger clone) to our neighborhood Oktoberfest party tomorrow

Excellent recipe! Love the maltiness on this beer. Next year I will ferment this beer for 3 weeks and lager for month. Will be using wyeast 1007.

image-191445516.jpg

Entered mine into thr rocky mountain homebrew challenge... we'll see how she does

So I have a lot domestic 2 row pale , gambrinus esb pale, or dingemans Munich malt as substitutes?

Looking to make this in the next week or two, want to let it "age" for at least a couple months before popping any open. Are there any commercial examples that you would say this is close to? Sam Adams or Great Lakes or Paulaner? Those are three pretty readily available options that vary quite a bit in taste in my opinion, just looking to see where this one falls.

Something about a good O'fest that I can't wait for, I've been thinking of making it a year round brew for myself.

I just put 5.5 gallons into the ferment chamber.

Made it last year and had the mash temps a little low but it was still a very, very tasty brew.

Hit the temp spot on this go around and am looking forward to seeing how it does. I liked it better than Sam Adams last time.

Thanks BM.

Made a 4 gallon batch about 36 hours ago because I only had a 5 gallon fermenter free and wanted to get this made before too much longer.
Using WY1450, Denny's Favorite, to bring out more of the maltiness. Pitched about 36 hours ago and starting to see krausen starting to build on top.

Can't wait to try this one!

I just did an Octoberfest but always liked Sams. What was your mash schedule like?
Also... 90min boil...ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just did a single infusion at 156. I also only did a 60min boil, don't see the need for a 90 min on this. There might be one but my limited knowledge on today's grains and how much they're malted this shouldn't need 90 min.

Back