Yeast Starter Timing Sound Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavball6

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am going to try and brew the NB Bourbon Barrel Porter (extract w/grains) on Thursday night and wanted to get everyone's opinion on this timing for my yeast starter. I am using Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) and plan on making a 1.75L starter with occasional swirling (no stir plate yet).

Tuesday @ noon - Remove smack pack from fridge
Tuesday @ 6 pm - Smack that pack!
Tuesday @ 10 pm - Pitch yeast into starter
Wednesday @ 8 pm - Move starter to fridge (cold crash)
Thursday @ 6 pm - Pull from fridge (bring to room temp)
Thursday @ 10 pm - Decant and pitch into wort

Does that seem right to everyone? Thanks for humoring a noob on this one!

Sounds good to me. I just used the same yeast two weeks ago. Did my starter on Tuesday, decanted/pitched on Saturday.

Had to remove my airlock on Sundar, due to explosive fermentaton. :)

I'm not an expert by any means, but I like pouring off the excess liquid while it's still cold, because this keeps the yeast cake on the bottom nice and tight. Just a small piece of advice, and only my opinion. Good luck!

Yeah pull it out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes and then decant while it's still cold.

I'm of the opinion that 24 hours in the fridge is not long enough to pull all the yeast out of suspension. With that short a time, my advice is to pitch the whole starter. I'm sure someone else has a different opinion BUT, you are going to be slightly under-pitching anyway according to both Mr. Malty and the Wyeast website. Because of this I would think you would want as much yeast possible out of your starter and unless you let it sit for a couple days in the fridge, you're going to leave some behind when you decant.

you can smack the pack as soon as you take it out of the fridge. no need to wait 6 hours...

Actually there is no need to smack the pack at all. It's completely unnecessary unless you plan on NOT making a starter and are just pitching strait from the pack.

Actually there is no need to smack the pack at all. It's completely unnecessary unless you plan on NOT making a starter and are just pitching strait from the pack.

but that's part of the fun of a smack pack...watching it swell up... :D

Latest posts

Back