Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hialtitude

Reaction score
Trying to resolve a friendly bet here. When aerating wort, should the wort be aerated before the yeast is added or should the yeast be pitched and then the wort aerated? Also, when pitching wort directly onto a yeast cake from a primary fermenter that was just racked, is it necessary to stir up the yeast? I have a six-pack of homebrew riding on this so thanks in advance.:mug:

You'd be better off posting those questions as polls because that's how varied the answers will be.

Question #1, I don't see any difference. #2 also doesn't matter much. The yeast will find the sugar.

No need to stir the yeast..........Aerate before...........And aerate all you want until the yeast start working. I have noticed an extra shot of air 6-8 hrs helps the yeast kick off if they havent already. The colder the wort the more air it will hold. With a yeast cake its gonna kick off quick so aerate before. If you pitch a smack pack or a white lab tube you'll want to aerate again 6 to 8 hrs. Dry yeast usually kicks off quick too but it will help to aerate 4 or 5 hrs later if the yeast are not working.

Back